• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 29, 2011 - 06:56 PM

so the other day while playing in the water and mud with the ht20, aka my toy. i noticed golfcart tires didnt steer in mud and water, they did close to nothing as a matter of fact, so i decided to fix that. i went to ebay and other sites to find ribbed tires and prices were well pretty damn scary. so i started cutting the golfcart tires into ribbed tires, almost got the first one done and boy does it look good, and it saved me about 140 bucks. and miraculously i havent cut myself yet. so its turning out good, ill have to potst pics as this can be a big money saver if you want cheap performance.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 07:26 PM

That sounds great. If you take pictures please show us what tools and jigs you are using to not get hurt. Also, I assume you are deflating the tires when working on them?

#3 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 29, 2011 - 08:11 PM

im using my smith and wesson military and police assisted opening knife and thats about it. the tires are inflated on the tractor. also keep an extra sharp blade as it cuts the time in half. no jigs either. i want to try using the circular saw and setting the depth so i dnt risk the tire but rubber shaving might be almost as bad as plexiglass in my eye. so tomorrow after changing my tranny fluid in her im gonan finish the tires. my hands are aching from doing it with the knife but no screw ups yet.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 08:18 PM

At least you will know if you go too deep.:bigrofl:

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 08:22 PM

I guess that is one way of doing it. Remind me to stand back while you are working haha. I am interested in seeing a pic of the knife and tires though.

#6 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 29, 2011 - 08:41 PM

this knife is a tank, ive opened live clams, paint cans fresh from lowes, cut through the orange extension cords, ect, ofcourse the 2 little screw that held the pocket clip on got messed up so im gonna need a new knife soon. honestly for under 50 bucks id buy another one if the generation 6 ones werent made in taiwan. im sure this one is USA but it doesnt say anything but i havent broken it yet.

001.jpg

#7 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 08:46 PM

That does look pretty gutsy for a knife. My question is how are you cutting grooves in the tire with that?? Does each valley require 2 angled cuts to make more of a V shaped valley?? Or is there some other way you aren't disclosing??

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:08 PM

Pic of the tire please!

#9 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:14 PM

ok ill have to post pics. its pretty easy and yes its quite gutsy, to my knowledge its the same thing the marines carry so i figured it would hold up decently well. im more or less just cutting small pieces out of the tread to widen the ribs that are kinda already in the tire. ill go get a pic tonight.

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:19 PM

They make an electric grooving iron for doing this. Look around for some people who race stockcars, as alot of the dirt track guys use them to sharpen up the tires.

#11 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:23 PM

i trekked through the mud, wet grass and pile of dog poop in bare feet just for these pics, i hope it makes a little more sense now.

003.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.jpg

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:26 PM

That looks like a lot of work.

#13 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:35 PM

its actually not too bad, i tried it with a box cutter and even that just doesnt do it good. i might make a video to show how i do it, once you get a good grip on how to do it its actually not bad. also we were out of power for a while, and we had no gas so i couldnt ride the tractor around on the roads like i usually so when theres nothing else to do lol. i think it will be worth the effort when im done since i plan on plowing this winter and this should help with steering quite a bit. really im just making 2 cuts per triangle i remove one straight down and one on the side which i do to get my knife in there and more less pop the piece of rubber out. i wanna get my buddy over here and watch him try his knife at this, he brags it was over 200 bucks and its made in spain by some fancy company but it feels flimsy so it should be a good show.

#14 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:35 PM

lauber can they do stuff like this?

#15 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:39 PM

never seen it done to a tire that small, but i dont see why not. You could also do it with a 4" angle grinder. Gona smoke some but i think it would be fast and safer than a knife.