17 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 12:07 PM

As to reusing the block, depends on where you want to be when you are done...

Chip on the cylinder is not a problem (as long as it didn't deform cyl wall inward around the break). Cylinders usually don't stress crack any more.

The cracks around the pin are a concern, and the broken casting. They can be welded and rebored, but welding on iron is not always a sure thing. May end up cracking again down the line. And is at max rebore, I think you said?

If you are just freshening it up, do the minimum and run the existing block till it dies.

Or if you look at it that this is something you want to last/use a long time, I would go with a new (used) block. If a full rebuild lasts for 10 years, the additional cost amortized over that time is fairly small.

I developed that attitude when rebuilding motors - learned it the hard way a long time ago... A rodded up motor (v8) grennaded because I didn't replace a couple parts that were in "ok" condition, but should have been replaced given the horsepower I wanted. Saving a few bucks cost in the long run...

If you spend money/time to fix it, don't just halfway fix it, or you may be wasting what you spent.

YMMV :smile1:

#17 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 02:03 PM

Was it me,the block would go away,why chance an engine failure?

#18 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 04:19 PM

I'd run that block as long as no part of the cracked casting is loose, the chip in the bore doesn't matter because the rings don't get anywhere near there. I just put a rod and rings in a 69 140 and it had balance gears, I took them out because of alot of suggestions to do it, supposedly they are a big cause of these kohler failures. I think too much emphasis is put on having "perfect" parts, sometimes you have to go with what you got. I base this on a lifetime in the automotive repair business and many years of drag racing, still just my opinion though. Hope I helped you make your decision. Bill.