• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Python00 OFFLINE  

Python00

• Member No: 3650
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 02:06 PM

I have been looking for an hour and can't find one.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 02:30 PM

The F510 is a front mount mower and I don't think there is any info. on it in the manuals section. If you can give us some info. on your specific problem then we can try to help. There are diagrams in the service manuals for some of the garden tractors such as the 200 series. The wiring is likely to be similar, so having a look at those manuals may be a help. Give it some time and see if anyone with experience with an F510 responds.

#3 Python00 OFFLINE  

Python00

• Member No: 3650
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 11:21 PM

It looks like the pto clutch was going out for some time and people have been doctoring it with bigger fuses and new pto switches. They also have ran some new wires for the pto as the result of using larger fuses that have let the wires melt. They have ran a new wire from the fuse panel to the end of the pto switch that has the purple wire running to the pto clutch. They have cut 2-3 other wires under the console and I was just wanting to determine what they were for.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 06:23 AM

You could go to the wiring diagrams in the 200series or 316/318 service manuals and look at the wire colours to see if they are the same. You may get some clues that way about which wires have been monkeyed with. JD had pretty consistent wire colours for different models at any given point in time. I think your PTO clutch coil is defective. That will cause excessive current to be drawn and blow fuses. It is a common problem. Putting in a larger fuse ends up burning up the wiring, PTO switch and /or the clutch coil.
You can check the clutch coil resistance. Typically for a garden tractor clutch it would be 3-4 ohms. I'm not 100% sure on the front mower. The PTO is usually interlocked through the PTO switch so that the engine cannot be started if the PTO switch is on. If the PTO switch fails it can be rewired to work again by disconnecting and bypassing the safety contacts. Unfortunately this is a fairly common method of repair. This may have been what has happened in your tractor. Good luck with it. This type of tractor is not very common on this forum. Let us know how you make out with it.

#5 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 06:28 AM

Since the F510 is a relatively newer model than the 200 series or the 316, 318 series, I doubt if those diagrams will help. The 130/160/etc., the LX and LT manuals in our manuals section might be closer to the F510 as they are newer.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 04:01 PM

Since the F510 is a relatively newer model than the 200 series or the 316, 318 series, I doubt if those diagrams will help. The 130/160/etc., the LX and LT manuals in our manuals section might be closer to the F510 as they are newer.

It seems wiring problems are very common. I wasn't sure how old a F510 was. Hopefully the OP can get enough info to get it sorted out.

#7 Rozwell Ranch OFFLINE  

Rozwell Ranch

• Member No: 2224
  • 5 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 10:38 AM

If you send me an email to RFD_01(@)hotmail.com I'll send you all you need to know about the F510.