• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,252 Thanks
  • 29,702 posts

Posted April 21, 2010 - 12:55 PM

Good little lawn tractors. I can see they converted the rear discharge to left side discharge. They came in right side/read discharge versions. Yours in pretty straight shape except for the rear fender pan.
I used to have an MF85. The transaxles on them were prone to trouble as mine did shortly after getting it. I put a heavy duty hydro under it and the original shifter did the control. I made clutch/brake cable work as neutral return/brake. I also put a Briggs 12HP IC engine with electric pto on it. Sold it a couple years back for $400 to a guy that grew up putting them together out of the crate for his father/MF dealer. Here's some pics...in the 1st, you can see the hydro unloader valve lever sticking out the back. I came in for a break from fencing, so dropped in.

Attached Thumbnails

• To Burn 002..jpg
  • MF85 Rear..jpg

#17 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 621 Thanks
  • 1,213 posts

Posted April 21, 2010 - 02:15 PM

Seems solid enough.....The main drive belt is pretty slack, so its slipping a lot, so I really dont know how the transaxle is yet......I like the way the foot pedal adjusts the height of the deck. What years are these?, I cant find any listings.....

#18 fergie OFFLINE  

• Member No: 138
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 21, 2010 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for letting me know. I also have a Massey 85. Mine was built in 1978 from my info. I kind of ended up in same situation as you. Was advertised as Massey Ferguson 8 so that was what I assumed it was. When I got there it was a MF85 with a 8 HP engine. Told the guy I didn't want it but he just wanted to get rid of it so I gave him a $100.00. It was in rough shape but I had fun fixing it up. Lots of trouble with changing gears/transaxle. Lots of missing parts over the years. Still has that nice looking Massey Ferguson tractor front. Have fun with it.