Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1855 weak 3 point hydraulic lift cylinder?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kcv2000 OFFLINE  

kcv2000

• Member No: 1832
  • 0 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 12:34 PM

Put the tiller on today to do some landscaping. Found that the 3 point will only lift a couple inches unless i help it by hand, with tiller on. There are no leaks, fluid level good, changed hyd. filter earlier this summer.
Does the cylinder need to be rebuilt? I see on partstree.com a kit is still available for the benton cyl but not the victor. How do i know which one i have?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 12:48 PM

If after raising the 2", then it drops on it's own, then it's either the control valve bypassing or the seals on the cylinder piston bypassing. If it's holding, then you have low charge pressure. We don't currently have a service manual covering the Sundstrand in the 1655/1855, but the MF14/16 service manual shows how to pressure test this same model Sundstrand. If the cylinder is at fault, you can get the needed seals at any good hydraulic shop like I do.

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 02:50 PM

Another possible problem is that you dont have the throttle high enough. With my snapper I have to be 3/4 or more throttle to get the hydro to build enough pressure on the heavy stuff.

#4 kcv2000 OFFLINE  

kcv2000

• Member No: 1832
  • 0 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 04:17 PM

Isn't the hydro in the snapper 1855 an eaton 11? Even with throttle at max rpms the tiller still needs help to fully lift.