Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,597 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 08:37 AM

I'm having issues with the clutch on an old R Minneapolis Moline that belonged to a very good friend of mine. He passed on just over 5 years ago and his widow likes to keep their six Moline tractors running so she can take them to the local show every year. Since his passing, I been keeping them running and charging her only for the parts. This red faced R had a bad coil and I got that changed and the tractor is running well but now the hand clutch doesn't "snap in" like it should and under a load it slips. My question is -- is there a way to tighten the clutch or is the clutch just worn out? It never works or plows, just retired to parade duty. There is a large access plate on the side of the torque tube but when I opened it up all I saw was a greasable throwout bearing. As big as the access hole is I figured there might be a way to adjust that clutch. My health won't allow me to split the tractor to install a new clutch disk and I'm hoping for an easy fix. If there is no adjustment, I'll have to haul it to a shop for replacement and that will cost her a bunch of money she really can't spare. Any ideas?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,262 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 11:24 AM

I found this info online.
www.Minneapolis-Moline.com • View topic - Over-center Clutch
I really don't know if you can adjust or not, but it sounds as if there is at least some adjustment in there.
  • caseguy said thank you

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,597 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 11:51 AM

THANKS MH8l! It never entered my mind to look around on the net for an answer. I just figured someone here had been there done that, and I took the lazy way out. The battery sits right above the access plate so its no picnic to get into, but I'll get a small flashlight and try to crook my neck around to see whats going on in there. I do know it is a real mess in the bellhousing, and with my hand in the hole I won't be able to see anything.

I usta be real good at feeling my way around in the dark - I'll see if I still got it :smile1:

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,262 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 04:22 PM

I spent a little time at lunch looking around, and there doesn't seem to be any free service or parts manuals for the R. I think that would be a very handy piece to have as you get into this. I know I always have had to look at the manual as we did the Fergusons. Sorry I couldn't find more info for you.

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,597 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 08:18 PM

I also asked on another forum and was told basically the same thing - U Molines had an adjustable clutch so maybe Rs did too. I wised up and waited until it was dark outside and then my eyes could focus on what the flashlight was aimed at, not on the sunlight outside looking into a dark hole. That way I could see what I needed to see and it was an adjustible clutch. After a quick fix it now works perfect and I had my own one man tractor cruise today of 10 miles over to a friends farm [5 there-5 back] and drove all around just enjoying the day. A little cool but I had a heavy coat on and it was most enjoyable. Sediment bowl filled with crud and I had to stop a couple of times to clean that but otherwise had a blast. Thanx again MH81

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 08:22 PM

I see you've already got this fixed. What was it....the clutch finger bolts preloaded against the throwout bearing?

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,597 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 02:59 PM

Yes, the preload was out of whack. Funny thing was when I first saw it, the lock pin was not locked at all - it was in between two notches. I don't know if the adjustment had been moving on its own but it did catch everytime while I was adjusting it - so I figure it will stay put now.