Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Special tips on pulling an engine on a D4 series?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 07:55 PM

I want to ask in preparation of pulling the engine from the D4-7. I am going to tinker with it some more this week and see if I can't get it running good but from the tinkering I have done so far I have a pretty good feeling the engine is going to have to come out.

So in an attempt to be ready for it I wanted to see if anyone can give me some advice on pulling the motor. Obviously there isn't a whole lot of room. Does the bellhousing and clutch all come out with the engine or can it be separated and then pull just the engine?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Both I pulled, I pulled the whole clutch unit with the engine. But, the bell housing splits in the center, and the engine with front half of the bell housing should slide forward enough to slide the drive shaft from the pilot & clutch plate. You definitely have to at least pull the engine half of the bell housing with it, as the bolts holding the front bell half go in from the inside of the bell into the engine backer plate. If your bearing feels good in the back half of the bell housing, then you wouldn't need to pull it anyway. That said, it might be wise to pull the entire unit off so you can check everything out easier.
  • NUTNDUN and mikebramel have said thanks

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 08:24 PM

Thanks Dan.

I think I will just pull the whole thing just to make it a little easier and let me inspect everything. I know the clutch needs adjusted on the D4-7 also because it doesn't disengage the clutch completely.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 07:12 PM

I got to tinker with the D4-7 a little more tonight. I pulled the carb off to get it out of the way to get better access to the points. It has always had really good spark but I wanted to make sure the gap was right and it was pretty close. I closed it up to .017. Put it back together and it fired up and did a little more tweaking to the jets. Got it pulled to full throttle and held it there and it started to sound like it was dieing or running lean. I richened it up a little and it didn't help and it died.

Looked at the fuel filter and it was almost empty of gas. Pulled the fuel line off the carb and held it over a gas can to make sure gas was flowing and it did and filled the fuel filter in the process. Put it back on and it fired right up but the same thing happened, fuel filter runs dry and it starts to die off. I took the gas cap off to make sure it wasn't a vent problem but that didn't change anything. If it was the float it wouldn't be draining the gas out of the filter and it runs great as long as there is gas in the filter.

I have had the petcock off of this tank before to clean it up and also check the o-ring to make sure it wasn't leaking. I looked inside the tank too when it was empty and it looked good. I don't know what the issue is as I have never had this problem before. I am going to get a new filter and fuel line. The fuel line doesn't look that old but it may be deceiving and it may be old and swelled up on the inside.

I guess there is a chance of it being the needle sticking shut at the float, it is new as well as the needle seat. Not sure what else I could do to make it work any better. The gas tank is above the carbs fuel inlet so gravity should make it feed fuel.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 12:34 PM

Did you take the threaded fuel inlet out of the carb? It may be full of crud that lets the fuel in slow, not keeping up after the engine goes to high rpm's, needing more fuel volume.

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 07:50 PM

George did you ever figure out what was going on?

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 01:31 PM

What  he said^^^^^^^^.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 04:03 PM

It's been so long I forgot what I did other than it hasn't run since LOL

Usually when we take the D4-7 to shows we just push it around.

• olcowhand and sacsr have said thanks

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 04:09 PM

Maybe you need to get it going before plow day down here.  I hope to get a plowline pic of as many Bush Hog tractors as I possibly can.  I think I will have 5 or 6 of my hogs t ready to pull a plow.

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks