• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dcglasgo OFFLINE  

dcglasgo

• Member No: 5873
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 08:50 AM

Anyone have any pictures of how the grill mounts into a 140 H3 model?

My brother in law is restoring a 140 H3 and recently got a grill off of ebay that is supposed to be for a 140. Only problem is it is about 3/4" short in length across the front and the pins don't seem to want to fit to the holes obviously because of it being so short. How does the grill attach at the bottom too, does it just sit there on the frame?

Someone else told him that you are just to bend the grill till it fit, but 3/4" is a lot to gain in his opinion.

Any advice or many pictures of a current 140 would be greatly appreciated!

Do you think the grill is not for his 140? :confuse:

Thanks,
David

#2 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 09:08 AM

First off Welcome to GTtalk David. There was 3 different grill designs for the 140's depending on the year and if it has the headlight option. I will try and get a measurement from one of mine today and post later unless someone else does in the meantime. Although if it is not wide enough to fit between the hood supports then it sounds like someone has modified it or it is not the right grill. Is it tall enough?

Mark

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 03:36 PM

Welcome to GTTalk David. I don't have a 140 but I have been wrestling with the grill on my 314. The dang thing is just hard to deal with! There should be lots of 140 owners to help you get it sorted. Nice tractor by the way. I've never seen one around here so I settled for a 314.

#4 dcglasgo OFFLINE  

dcglasgo

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 07:44 PM

Here's pretty sure that it is a 73 or 74. We just got a hold of a service manual here yesterday so that he can look up the year and figure some other things out. If I remember right his serial number is around 49,xxx. He does have headlights too. I'm pretty sure it was tall enough to fit the area, just not wide enough across the front.

Thanks,
David

#5 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 09:36 PM

Well I measured a early style grill today and it measured 11 3/8's wide by 10 3/4's tall. This is the style that has pins that holds it in at the top. If your 140 is a 73 or 74 it should have a snap in style of grill and it will be wider than the one that I measured.

Mark

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 10:52 PM

Welcome to GTTalk, sounds like you're getting the info you need. A couple of pics and a couple of measurements may help someone get you the best info. Good luck.

#7 dcglasgo OFFLINE  

dcglasgo

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 06:31 AM

If your 140 is a 73 or 74 it should have a snap in style of grill and it will be wider than the one that I measured.

Hmm. Will the 73/74 model 140 still have the holes for the grill pins to go into even though it takes a snap in style of grill?

I know his tractor does have the holes below or next to the headlights which is why we were confused that the grill was 3/4" short from reaching both sides.

Maybe I'll have to search for a 140 snap in grill. We were trying to find a blow out schematic to help too and were unable to find that.

Thanks for all your help so far Mark!

David

#8 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 09:44 PM

David, have not forgot about you just been a couple crazy days.

Ok first thing a 49,xxx would be a 1973. So it should have a snap in grill originally.

It sounds like that you have the hood supports for an 68 to 70 140. Like this right.
69 JD 140 hood support.jpg

These hood supports use a grill like this with the pins. This is the one I got the measurements from.

69 grill.jpg

This is how a 1973 should be
73 JD 140 hood support 2.jpg

Notice how the hood supports are different and how the grill just snaps or slides in. It is the spring tension the holds it in. That is why it is a little bit wider than the one pictured above.

Hope this will help you out. If you have anymore questions just ask.

Mark

Attached Thumbnails

• 73 JD 140 hood support.jpg

• Trav1s and dcglasgo have said thanks

#9 dcglasgo OFFLINE  

dcglasgo

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 06:44 AM

Thanks so much Mark! Greatly appreciated. All of this sure helped him solve that problem and understand better what is going on.

Thanks,
David