s-16 front axle question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darrell OFFLINE  

• Member No: 297
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 07:13 AM

I have an S-16 that i am working on and noticed the front axle has back and forth movement when you turn the steering wheel. Was looking in to fixing that and noticed the front PTO goes through the axle ?????

Has anyone worked on something like this and have a fix for it ?? I really don't need the PTO , has anyone removed the PTO and used a different fix ??

Thanks ,

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 08:43 AM

:wave: Darrell Welcome to GTTalk! I don't know much about the Ariens tractors, so I'll leave that up to the others, but I wanted to welcome you and let you know that you should stop over to the Member Introductions Forum and give us a tour of your hobby the way that you see it! Some pictures of your stuff would be cool too!

#3 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 09:54 AM

there isn't really supposed to be any slop in the front axle. however, the tractor is getting to the point of being called old, and getting there fast:smile1: i have fixed a few with a trip to the local machine shop. i have them bore out the original hole and press in a bronze bushing, plus have them machine a bolt to fit properly.
i can't remember if those ariens have a zerk to grease that pivot point, but having the shop drill a hole for one while the bushing is getting done is pretty cheap.
i payed just under 45 bucks to have the front of my wheelhorse 312-8 done last summer.:smile1: hope this helps.

#4 Encrypt OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 502
  • 9 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 06:26 PM

I'll have to go out and look at mine. I'm not sure if there is a zerk fitting or not either.

#5 Enginerd OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 02:58 PM

I don't think there is. I remember thinking that was odd when I greased it the first time. My Bolens has one for the axle pivot, but the Ariens does not.

#6 AriensDon OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9768
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Ariens GT's has a zerk fitting in the axle pivot. If it didn't you would be wearing out the pto tube and axle pretty quick. I just changed the pto tube in mine and it had grooves in it and I always greased it. But it was 30 years old. Maybe they some how sealed grease in there in the later model years.
Darn it just noticed the date of this.. oh well sorry.