• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jknapp OFFLINE  

jknapp

• Member No: 4402
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 11:41 PM

Apparently the previous owner did not know much about carburetors. this is what i found when i went to clean the carb today.:wallbanging: unfortunately i dont have the money to just go buy a new one.. so i am going to have to use this one for now... till i find a used one. any ideas on a fix for this? i know how i am going to "fix" it:blowingup:.:D but i dont like that idea. if i do it i will get some pictures up of the process.

josh

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011-08-27_12-53-38_430.jpg
  • 2011-08-27_12-53-02_925.jpg

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 03:42 PM

That bites!! Is that supposed to be where a jet is installed. It's mangled pretty bad. You need to find out if the damage is external or there is more grief internally. It almost looks like it was dropped. The pictures are a bit out of focus so it's hard to see exactly what you have. I'd try JD recyclers to see if you can find another one used.

#3 jknapp OFFLINE  

jknapp

• Member No: 4402
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 10:24 PM

Brian it is where the idle mixture screw goes. Dunno if I'm lucky or not but the idle mixture screw was all the way in when it happened I think. The engine ran ok on the top end, but if its supposed to pull fuel through the idle circut at the top end I am afraid to run it with this carb anymore.as this may be the cause of my high speed m miss I was noticing.i will look up this jd recyclers and give them a try

Thanks
Josh

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 06:11 AM

I was thinking the jet may not even have been in the hole. If there are still threads in the hole you may be able to move what is left of the jet. It may be leaking air as well which would mess up the mixture. There are several large JD used parts vendors. Check Ebay and the sponsors on this and other forums. Here is a good one tractorsalesandparts.com

They have huge numbers of JD tractors for parts source.

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 06:33 AM

Pot Metal Carburetor Welding Repair - SmokStak you could try this,...
Scag Commercial Mowers use those engines too, check with the local distributors in your area, they might be able to help with parts,