• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 08:54 PM

Bought a New Holland GT with a front mounted generator awhile back never tried it so with Irene headed this way I mounted the generator on the front of an Ariens GT
16 works like a charm,only 5000 Watt but it'll beat not having any electric power.

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 09:00 PM

Sounds good. Hope you don't have to use it. If you do, post the results.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 04:47 AM

Glad you checked it out before needing it. I hope you don't have to use it.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 05:23 AM

Sounds good. Hope you don't have to use it. If you do, post the results.

Ditto !

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 06:08 AM

That will come in really handy if you get a prolonged outage. 5kw is a pretty good size for a backup. Generally they will start a well pump. Hopefully you won't need it. We have lost our power for 4-5days several times over the years. The worst part is not having water if you are on a well. I got a 7.2kw PTO generator I use on my JD2320. One thing to watch out for is to make sure you have lots of fuel on hand. If your tractor uses 1gal/hr that can really add up fast. Hopefully you won't need it! Good luck with Irene!!

#6 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 06:38 AM

Glad u have one, we just got new rainspouting but if it rains as hard as they want it too,, the water will come right out and over them

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 07:47 AM

Everyone stay safe & dry. Don't forget to tuck in your babies too. :D

#8 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 01:46 PM

Just got home been to an auction across the Blue Ridge to the west of me, wife said its been raining here since Noon,pretty good wind and the lights have flickered a few times.I have plenty of water house is on a well but have a Spring from the mountain on the farm that I pipe the water down to my garden behind the house so it runs gravity flow 24/7 an inch pipe of pure spring water.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 08:02 PM

It has been raining here all day, most of it so far is just normal weather and I guess we are supposed to be getting the affects of Irene tomorrow. Hopefully nobody needs to use their generators. We don't have one so I have our fingers crossed.

#10 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 05:47 AM

so far the electric just went off and came back on 1 time.

#11 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 06:16 PM

One thing to watch out for is to make sure you have lots of fuel on hand. If your tractor uses 1gal/hr that can really add up fast.

I have a 5000 watt coleman powermate that i use for the occasional offsite job and home backup. my windstar takes $120 to fill and i usually fill it at 60 to 70 %, just in case we have that unexpected occurance happen i will have a backup to the always filled 5 gallons in the genny and 5 gallon can. and 1 automotive electric fuel pump with 10 feet of 1/4 inch fuel tubing on hand in the shop should i need to siphon some gas from the van . I would like to install a 50 amp plug in by the main fuse box with a knife switch to isolate from the city grid so i can just plug in and fire up the genny and run everything in the house without running ext. cords everywhere.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 06:31 PM

I have a 5000 watt coleman powermate that i use for the occasional offsite job and home backup. my windstar takes $120 to fill and i usually fill it at 60 to 70 %, just in case we have that unexpected occurance happen i will have a backup to the always filled 5 gallons in the genny and 5 gallon can. and 1 automotive electric fuel pump with 10 feet of 1/4 inch fuel tubing on hand in the shop should i need to siphon some gas from the van . I would like to install a 50 amp plug in by the main fuse box with a knife switch to isolate from the city grid so i can just plug in and fire up the genny and run everything in the house without running ext. cords everywhere.

I had a small 3kw generator before I got the 7.2Kw PTO unit. It wasn't big enough to start the well pump, so no water, which gets a bit tiresome after a few days. It used about 2l/hr. The 2320 used about 2.5l of diesel/hr last year when hurricane Bill knocked out power for 24hrs. A 7kw gas powered generator would have burned through much more fuel. I usually keep about 60-80litres of diesel. I only run the generator for maybe 8 hrs/day split up into about 3 sessions. We have wood heat for a backup so staying warm isn't an issue.

#13 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 06:48 PM

I had a small 3kw generator before I got the 7.2Kw PTO unit. It wasn't big enough to start the well pump

WOW , 3 KW cant run a pump ? . that must be some pump. but my coleman cant seem to start either of my compressors,1 is 110 volt,1 is 220 so there may be some technical stuff my brain is short on :blush2: .