• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 lastdaze04 OFFLINE  

lastdaze04

• Member No: 5849
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 11:49 AM

Would like a moment to say Hi to all. I have been for the past several days lurking and reading the wealth of information here. This site is the best that I've seen.
Now for the problem. I have a real nice looking Ford LGT 14 D Garden Tractor, it is about 20 years old and runs good. This year it has a particular problem. This week I was mowing and all the sudden it started to spit out the radiator water through the little vent tube where you add water/antifreeze. What's up? I hope its nothin serious as I don't have a bunch of money. Thank-you in advance for all advice given.
Rick

#2 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 01:25 PM

Check and make sure your radiator is clean and not full of debris.

Welcome to Gt Talk.
We would love to see some pictures of your 14D. I missed my chance to have one of those. They are nice tractors.
  • lastdaze04 said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 03:09 PM

Could be a few things:

As Chuck said, radiator outside clogged
Radiator inside clogged
bad thermostat
just too danged hot outside to properly cool
head gasket leaking compression into water jacket
Radiator cap needing replaced
fan belt loose

Anything that can make it run hotter than normal can cause this. Start with the easy stuff, then work your way to the harder. It might simply be too hot in your area for it to cool with all components in top shape. If that's the case, either working in cooler times of the day, or lessening the engine load is about all you can do.
Not likely a blown head gasket, but the easiest way to tell is when cold, take the radiator cap off & start engine. If it's blowing compression into the water jacket, you can usually spot bubbles in the water that when they pop, they'll be smoky vapors come from them. Usually though with a blown gasket, they will do far more than just spit water....they can blow a lot out, but not always a lot.
What is the ambient temps where you are?

#4 lastdaze04 OFFLINE  

lastdaze04

• 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 03:24 PM

Hi Chuck: Thank-you for replying so quick. I went out and did a thorough check on the outside and there are no obstructions, and debris in the radiator, I can shine a flashlight threw it and no debris is found. I will post some pics as soon as possible. Thanks.

Check and make sure your radiator is clean and not full of debris.

Welcome to Gt Talk.
We would love to see some pictures of your 14D. I missed my chance to have one of those. They are nice tractors.

#5 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 03:35 PM

I think Daniel aka Olcowhand will help you get straightened out. He had a lot more suggestions than I had. Good luck.

#6 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 03:42 PM

Glad you are here. Welcome. Hope you get that radiator problem nailed down. Looking forward to your pics.

#7 lastdaze04 OFFLINE  

lastdaze04

• 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 03:46 PM

Hey 'olcowhand' thanks for responding. I will go in the order that you have them listed.
'As Chuck said, radiator outside clogged'. Looks good
Radiator inside clogged. When the radiator spit out all the water I could view a small portion of the radiator and it still looks reletively clean, not much build up at all.
A 'bad thermostat' could be a possiblity I want to check the more easy to do things first.
'just too danged hot outside to properly cool' A very real possiblity it is in real temperature outside 104 - 106 here in East Texas and then add the the humidity it feels like 105 - 110 we still are under a heat advisory.
'Head Gasket" I checked for that it there are no bubbles, I used to work on cars alittle bit and I know a head gasket problem when I see it or 'feel it' This thing runs as smooth as glass.
'Radiator cap needs replacing'??? THIS IS WHERE I NEED SOME HELP!!!!!. I called all the ford/white/New Holland tractor places around me and all they could do is sell me a cap, they had no specs on it as to what PSI the cap activated and released pressure. The one that is on there is not the original, what IS on there is a 7lb cap IS THAT CORRECT????
'Fan belt loose' checked that and that is fine. (one of the few things I have the ability to do):smile1:
However it must be noted I am not experienced on a diesel. :confuse:I was running it at 2800 rpm and one of the dealers said I was over reving it and that the high rpm could be overheating it. That being said and with the High temperatures I did go out and run it for 30 mins at 2100 rpms and cut my grass (I have 4 acres) and it did not overheat but I had to go alot slower as it had a tendency to just lay the grass over instead of sucking it up to be cut. Anything I can do??????? I am going to the Auto parts store to get some Water Wetter as it says it MAY reduce temperatures by a few degrees. I am open to options
Thanks in Advance
Rick

Could be a few things:

As Chuck said, radiator outside clogged
Radiator inside clogged
bad thermostat
just too danged hot outside to properly cool
head gasket leaking compression into water jacket
Radiator cap needing replaced
fan belt loose

Anything that can make it run hotter than normal can cause this. Start with the easy stuff, then work your way to the harder. It might simply be too hot in your area for it to cool with all components in top shape. If that's the case, either working in cooler times of the day, or lessening the engine load is about all you can do.
Not likely a blown head gasket, but the easiest way to tell is when cold, take the radiator cap off & start engine. If it's blowing compression into the water jacket, you can usually spot bubbles in the water that when they pop, they'll be smoky vapors come from them. Usually though with a blown gasket, they will do far more than just spit water....they can blow a lot out, but not always a lot.
What is the ambient temps where you are?

#8 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 03:52 PM

As far as I know (dont listen to me, listen to danial haha) most GTs should run at 3600 RPM. But I do not deal with diesels so I could be wrong.

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 04:27 PM

Lastdaze04,welcome to the forum,glad to have you with us.

#10 lastdaze04 OFFLINE  

lastdaze04

• 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 05:30 PM

Hey mjodrey; Thanks for the welcome. I am happy to be aboard

Edited by lastdaze04, August 26, 2011 - 07:41 PM.
Kain't spell

#11 lastdaze04 OFFLINE  

lastdaze04

• 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hey craftsmankid; I appreciate where you are coming from. I have had two gasoline powered mowers, a TroyBuilt and a 14 hp Snapper with a 38in deck. They both run at a considerably higher RPM than this diesel. The Snapper is an early 90's model. It is way more rugged than the Troybuilt I bought from Lowes. The Troy built only lasted 3 years before the frame fell apart, I think 4 acres in the Texas heat and humidity killed it. The Snapper even tho smaller (and older) is a heavier more durable machine. I will keep it (it is in the shop getting the hydrostatic transmission fixed) unless someone offers me a decent price to sell.

As far as I know (dont listen to me, listen to danial haha) most GTs should run at 3600 RPM. But I do not deal with diesels so I could be wrong.

Edited by lastdaze04, August 26, 2011 - 05:44 PM.
kain't spel rite

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 06:03 PM

I will check the rad caps on my diesels to see what psi they hold to, but I think your cap is ok. With your temps there, it's likely the cooling system is doing as good as it possibly can.
Most all diesels in GT's are designed to run anywhere from 3400 to 3650rpm, so your dealer is telling you wrong! I know my Kubota twin cylinder in 100 degree weather runs right against the hot line, but no spitting coolant. My JD F935 however spit a tiny amount out while mowing the other day while very hot out.
Running slower rpm's will lower overall running temps, but 2100 is too slow. Raise it to around 3 grand and don't crowd the mower deck & you should do ok. About the only thing you can do in that kind of heat is to add an electric radiator fan that can push more air . If it's the ambient temps causing this, then more air is your only answer, short of moving to cooler climate! LOL

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 06:54 PM

I'm late onto this thread. Glad to have you with us here at GTTalk Rick.
As far as diesel rpms go, you should try to get the correct maximum for your engine. It should be in your operators manual if you have one. I know that there is a fairly large difference in the rpms for different engines. The Yanmar in the 2320 is 3000 for rated output and 2950 gives 540rpms at the rear PTO. Sometimes there is an indication on the tach to tell you what is the correct rpms to get 540. On the 2320 it is a little PTO symbol with an arrow to the correct RPM for rated output speed on the pto's. There is a caution about running them faster than the rated speed.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 07:14 PM

The Yanmar tractors & most all SCUT tractors run slower rpm's. My Massey 1010 runs at 2750. But all mine in GT's run 3400 to 3650. The ones in GT's are designed to run faster mostly because of their mowing duties. SCUTS tend to be used for more heavy pulling applications, so they run at slower speeds to get the max torque from them.

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 07:34 PM

The HP race between JD and Kubota has seen them playing with the rpms that they rate their engines at. By rating them at higher rpm's they get a bigger number. The older versions of these small JD CUT's used lower HP engines that were rated at lower RPM's. With the higher rpms comes different gearing in the trans. to get the rated PTO speed to match up with engine max. power. It would be the same deal for mower decks running off the front PTO. The gearing would be designed to use the rated engine HP at the correct blade speed.
So for the Ford in this thread there would be a rpm corresponding to the correct pto speed to get the rated engine HP to the blades. If you run at a faster than rated speed there is more likely to be overheating issues with high ambient temps. I think that may have been what the dealership was getting at. If it was my tractor I would want to know the rated and maximum speeds so I wouldn't overheat it.