• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,620 Thanks
  • 38,996 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 06:47 PM

I have a Cub 108 with the K241 and a 48" deck. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Edited by KennyP, August 27, 2011 - 05:52 AM.

#17 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 08:18 PM

I know its better then a modern engine, but the 12 I am talking about is my 12hp tecumseh. And the 10 I am talking about is in my 65 suburban 10. But, all of you are more knowledgeable then me so I will leave this thread now.

Austin please don't be like that no one is doubting what you have experienced, but comparing your Suburban with a Tecumseh (a good engine in it's own right) to the AC 710 with a Briggs 10 is not the same, it has allot more gearing i.e. it's geared lower than a Suburban so pulling a mower shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Also the Briggs 10 is an oversquare engine meaning the bore is larger than the stroke, it breathes in more fuel/air than an undersquare engine or so I'm told.

And something else I just found out is the pulleys are the same size and the blades are 2-1/4 " longer on the 48" compared to the 42" so it may not drag down the engine that much ?

Attached Thumbnails

• briggs 10.JPG

#18 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 05:38 AM

Im thinking if you keep sharp blades and watch the grass height and your mowing speed your 10hp should be OK, but then we have to do that with any piece of our equipment, as everything has its limits.

#19 Simplicity Saver OFFLINE  

Simplicity Saver

• Member No: 1717
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 11:31 AM

Go with the 48 you will be fine. just look for the pulley for a 3410 landlord deck, I mow with my 10 hp landlord with the 48 inch deck with no problems, just have to slow down a little in the tall grass.

#20 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 10:39 PM

Well folks just an update after getting a good chewing out for even considering scrapping the deck it came with my OPE friend said between the two of us we could rebuild it cheaper (about $40) rather than replacing parts ($120) and make it better in the process i.e. using cast iron pulleys instead of the stamped steel ones etc.

I guess I learned my lesson never tell an Amish OPE repair tech you're considering scrapping a good deck instead of rebuilding it !