607 replies to this topic

#61 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 03:41 PM

Back from the dead to give another update on the 120.

During the last snow (8" of wet/heavy stuff in January) I knocked the cutting edge off of the blower on the expansion joints in the sidewalk at the church. I got irritated and parked it to fix at some later date. Today I finally reinstalled it with carriage bolts and nylon lock nuts I picked up at Napa.

I picked up some LED marker lights to use as tails in place of the factory reflector. Other than one small hole for a mounting screw they bolted in place of the reflectors. I will wire them up when I pull the seat pan to repair and paint it this summer.
Posted Image

Dad got me a new PTO and neutral safety switch for Christmas and I finally had some time to mess with it. As I suspected, the wiring harness has been messed with and the colors do not match up with what is in the install instructions for either switch. I am in the process of looking for a wiring schematic/diagram. I think I have one saved but don't know where it might be. More later on as I figure this one out. It looks as I might need to rebuild the harness in a few places or pick up a new one. Either way, there will be some $ to invest in this machine.

Edited by Trav1s, March 17, 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#62 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 04:08 PM

That went easier than I thought. Using a late 140 schematic I was able to determine what was removed and replaced with a teal wire and then connect everything properly. The harness is NOT hacked up!! The replacement wires were soldered and heat-shrinked when installed. Other than the incorrect color and stripe all is well. It fired right up and ran for 30 seconds then stalled. I think the float might be sticking from sitting and will pull the bowl some time later.

I am also looking for a model 41 deck (complete or shell) since my current 41 is rather crusty. If I cannot find one I will get some help rebuilding it and use the 110 lawn duty.

Attached Thumbnails

• 140_SN_30_001_Wirediagram.jpg

Edited by Trav1s, March 17, 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#63 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 11:36 AM

Checked Craigslist yesterday and found a Model 46 deck in the Omaha area for sale. I called this morning and will be picking it up tomorrow. I really want another 41 but for this price I cannot pass it up. It is complete with all covers, belts and mule drive. I hope it is as solid as it looks in the pics. The seller also a complete running 140 H-3 for sale... :confuse:

#64 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Another quick update on the 120 -

I noticed the last time I had it out that the front bearing cap was missing from the right side. After I jacked it up I quickly learned the front bearing were shot and needed replaced. I ordered bearings at Napa and will need to order the bearing caps and back seals from Deere. It seems the additional weight of the snowblower over time (both before my purchase and since my purchase) contributed to the mess that I found. While I am at it I am considering installing new front tires and painting the wheels in preparation for a repaint of the entire tractor.

Edited by Trav1s, April 11, 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#65 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 03:11 PM

Another update without pictures.

I ordered the Deere service manual and it should be here next week. I got one for the 110 and it is has been a priceless resource so I pulled the trigger. I also ordered some parts from the local Deere dealer to complete the front wheel bearing replacement. That list includes two bearing caps, two seals, a clip to hold the choke cable (broke it last fall), and a fuel level gauge. While I have the front wheels off I am going to sand and paint them. Still trying to decide if I should replace the tires since they are hard and weather-checked. It would be easier to do it now than later...

The only bad thing is that I have more time than money right now. :rolleyes:

Edited by Trav1s, April 11, 2012 - 03:13 PM.

#66 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 12:42 AM

I like your thread. Good thought process and good planning. I'm following a similar pattern with my 316. Fix what's busted now but prep what you can for later or do the little stuff while you wait for the right time to do the rest. Nice 120!

#67 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 07:11 AM

Thanks! I was talking to some distant cousins on my wife's side of the family back east that owns a John Deere dealer last week. When I told them about the 120 they told me to hold on to it. That conversation jump-started my desire to get some more things done to it. I will get some pics of stuff tomorrow on my day off.

#68 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 08:47 AM

Here are some pics of my recent work:

Spindle that has some wear on it due to the bad bearings.
Posted Image

Posted Image

New bearings for both front wheels. The two bearing on the right have seals built into them.
Posted Image

Old bearings from the side that lost the bearing cap. Note there is NO grease in them.
Posted Image

I plan on ordering new front tires later today.

Edited by Trav1s, April 13, 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#69 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 09:05 AM

I also considering replacing the Walbro carb with a Kohler/Carter unit if I can find one for a reasonable price. I believe the model I need it a 26 but will do some more research into this.

#70 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 11:10 AM

Pulled the trigger and ordered new front tires from Miller Tire. Ended up going with Carlisle TurfMasters

Posted Image

I am going to remove the Good Years on the wheels, sand them, mount the new tires, prime and paint followed by inflate the new tires. This will help me avoid scratches in fresh paint. Got the idea from WFM.

Edited by Trav1s, April 14, 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#71 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 06:21 PM

The parts for Deere arrived this afternoon from the local dealer. Let the fun begin!

Posted Image

#72 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 07:01 PM

The parts for Deere arrived this afternoon from the local dealer. Let the fun begin!

I always love when the new parts come in. Hope everything goes smooth for you.

#73 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 08:31 PM

This stuff is pretty straight forward and easy for me. I won't do much until the new tires arrive next week. I am also going to remove the seat pan and have a local shop weld the cab bolt holes shut so I can fix the other damage on the seat pan and paint it.

Found Carlisle All Trail 23x8.00-12 Lawn Mower Garden Tractor Tires on eBay but not on Millertire.com. I am close to pulling the trigger on them for the rear of the 120.

Posted Image

#74 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 05:54 PM

Took some time this afternoon and installed the replacement clip that holds the choke cable in place and removed the hood for repair and paint. I have a friend that is painting his 7520 with Deere paint and it will be quick and easy to paint the 120 hood and fender pan.

Edited by Trav1s, April 15, 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#75 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 09:02 PM

The service manual arrived yesterday. I don't know why I waited so long to order it. Definitely a nice addition to the repair process. Now I am waiting on my tires from Miller Tire.