I cleaned the PTO clutch connection good then did some simple testing. I found the following with the clutch on the tractor:
- Same behavior if I go thru the tractor's electrical system or direct jumper from battery to clutch
- Voltage is OK but resistance is really wierd - both the analog and digital meters do not show resistance on the scale. After Zeroing out the analog unit it goes all the way to the right indicating no resistance!?! The new digital unit (zeroes itself out) and will not display anything.
To confirm it is not my insanity figuring in this I grabbed the PTO clutch coil from the 312 and it does the same things with both meter.
I also ran to O'Reily's and grabbed a fuse for the original voltage reg and it does the same thing.
So to recap the facts on the tractor from the rebuild
- original wiring harness is being used (it was repaired and done will before I got it)
- new ignition switch (from Napa) and PTO switch (from Deere) when reassembled in the summer of 2012
- tried new style voltage reg and one on tractor with same response
- AC voltage into regulator and DC out are OK
It will run for 20-30 minutes then stall due to no spark. Charge the battery and it will run until the battery dies.
I keep wondering if I am missing something....