607 replies to this topic

#481 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 08:07 AM

Ran it yesterday and the gauge initially went low then went back to normal.  Makes me think the gauge is bad. 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#482 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,089 Thanks
  • 660 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Yup - solid state replacement for points and condenser.  I cannot find it either.  :(

I think I found it! Is this wha you used?

http://overnight-sol...les/Page739.htm

f so, it's a little spendy, but I plan to keep this thing forever, so worth it.

#483 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 09:59 AM

That be the one.  

BEST upgrade beside the carb swap.  Any other K series I own long term will get one.  Period.

• SupplySergeant said thank you

#484 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,089 Thanks
  • 660 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 11:07 AM

BEST upgrade beside the carb swap.  Any other K series I own long term will get one.  Period.

Quite an endorsement! Like I said earlier in this thread, putting pointless electronic ignition on my FIL's three-cylinder Ford 3000 farm tractor turned it from a balky, misfiring pain into a joy to run. I'll order one as soon as I can.

• Trav1s said thank you

#485 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 02:19 PM

I am good with getting points right but this is get it right and forgetuhboutit.

#486 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 06:29 AM

Hello Travis

I had a 1970 John Deere 120. I bought it with it's Kohler engine blown up for $100.00 it has a super celan Model 47 Mowing deck with it. I Placed a new shortblock and restored it while I was at it. I found an Old John Deere dealership that had been  closed for years. He sold me an Optional Factory John Deere Headlight kit for my 120 for $50.00 as well as the Optional cigar lighter for $5.00 they were both NOS Parts & I sure was glad to have found them. Once I had it restored I Placed it in a Local Tractor show that had 52 Lawn & Garden Tractor's entered and mine took first place, which Humbled me. I used it for Four years and added a cozy Cab, 54" Hydraulic lift blade that I bought new from a John Deere dealer for $600.00, and a model 47 snowblower to it. The Tractor never gave me a problem and I sold it when I moved out of state. I seperated the Impliment's selling the Tractor with it's cozy cab and mowing deck, The blade by itself as well as the Model 47 snowblower. I ended up getting $3200.00 by selling it with it's Impliment's seperated at a Local farm auction. With the seller's fee taken out I went home that day with $2800.00 cash in my hand. I liked the Hydro Transmission so well I later bought a 1969 model 140 and recently sold that as I located a nice First year 1983 318 that I recently restored.Sadly, I never got any Picture's of it restored but I spent countless hour's on it's body Panel's then wet sanded them and gave them three coat's of clear coat it sure did shine. Regards, Hammerdown

#487 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • Member No: 30322
  • 152 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Wish I could get a head light set for $50

#488 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,089 Thanks
  • 660 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Wish I could get a head light set for $50

Me too! I'm seriously considering this: http://cgi.ebay.com/...atchlink:top:en or doing something simliar myself.

#489 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 04:16 PM

The 120 is headed east on 80 for Benton county Iowa. We are moving to Cedar Rapids this weekend. Here it is leaving home.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#490 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Good luck with the move! I bet the 120 was peeking out of the bed the whole way!

#491 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • Member No: 30322
  • 152 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Looks good

#492 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Hello Travis

You certainly have done an Excellent restoration on your 120. As I said I had one back in 1993 time span and mine was an H-1. It had a brass tag 48" Mowing deck with it that was perfect no rust or splits in it. I too took mine down to the rolling Chassis when I restored it and I was always' Impressed with the Pumpkin style Heavy duty rear end that mine had to me they were severe duty but they were not around long as the 140's had a different style aluminum style rear end that were rugged but did not look so mean and tough to me. I worked with a guy who had a brother in law that had a closed John Deere dealership. It was way on top of this hill in the middle of no where. he had an auction when he closed it but most of the NOS John Deere Part's did not sell so that is how I found a brand new Headlight kit for my 120 as well as the cigar Lighter option.He is the one that sold me my Brand new Kohler short block that he had in stock for $300.00 and even Included a NOS carburetor. I can remember when he opened the business door to take me in it looked like a Time capsule as it had been closed for at least 10 Year's then. he had a Bunch of John Deere lawn & garden Tractor's out side with varoius issues parked Next to the shop I can clearly remember a buch of round Fender 110's & 112's sitting there and a few model 140's. I was a Lot Younger then and did not have a vison of what this stuff would be worth or I could have bought a truck load of stuff for pennies on the dollar.

Once I had mine down to the rolling Chassis and the engine out of it, I sanded it's frame down and Painted it with Blitz black and Painted the wheel's with John Deere yellow. I then sanded down all of the body panel's and Painted them. There was no rust or dent's in them the paint was just dull from age. I did have to replace the fiber drive shaft coupler as mine was dry rotted and I got an NOS one from the same guy that sold me the rest of my part's for $10.00 ! The Mowing deck was straight with no rust or split's in it, but I replaced all of the mowing deck spindle Bearings again the parts came from the same guy all John Deere bearings and back then they were selling Timken Bearings that lasted forever, Unlike the cheap China Bearing's that John Deere is marketing today. I think he charged me $25.00 for all of the bearings and I replaced the Main mower deck drive Pulley as that had some slight corrosion on it the same guy charged me $10.00 for that Pulley and a new Mowing deck mule drive belt. I surmise by now that Old Guy that had the closed John Deere dealership has passed away and all of the stuff that was there is long gone but I will never forget walking into that closed dealership showroom I felt like a Kid on Christmas Morning. Too bad I did not buy all of it I sure could have been sitting pretty now by selling off all of his NOS Part's of which many were discontinued even back then. Regards, Hammerdown

#493 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 08:02 PM

Checked on the 120 today.  It has been in cold storage since I moved and not started since November.  Much to my surprise it started relatively quickly and ran great.  I attribute most of this to the Pointslayer and the Carter 26 carb I installed on it when it went back together.  Other than airing up the front tires it was read to go.  I let it run for 10 minutes at WOT and all is well.

Edited by Trav1s, March 10, 2014 - 08:03 PM.

• Navy Chief said thank you

#494 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Here it is with the dead 312.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#495 Navy Chief OFFLINE