• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 09:30 AM

That looks messy! Have fun playing in the grease!

#212 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 09:05 AM

That looks messy! Have fun playing in the grease!

It is REALLY messy and the grease smells strange. It seems that the snowblower duty it pulled earlier in life did a number on the steering box. I will order parts from Deere and get to work later this week.

#213 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,707 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Pics for your enjoyment and my personal gratification :smilewink:

A few more pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What kind of camera are you using? What are your settings? These are the best looking pictures that I have seen in sometime, very nice detail. Impressed and would like to be able to duplicate.

#214 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 09:08 PM

All of my pics are taken with my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy Fascinate. It is an 8 megapixel camera and I think that is the sweet spot. More is not that noticeable, less definitely is. Pics are clear when I can hold the phone still. :(
  • KennyP and Bmerf have said thanks

#215 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,707 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hard to believe that the pictures came from a phone, isn’t technology wonderful? I have no real need for a cell phone, but if it takes picture that clear… well maybe… no… I will have to play around with the settings on my old Canon power shot A400.
I know all too well about the shaky hand syndrome, that is the nice thing about digital cameras, don’t like the picture, delete and try again, thanks.

#216 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Found a bolt-on 140 H-3 set-up on WFM for the 120 to replace the 316K H-2 stuff that did not work. :smilewink:

Edited by Trav1s, September 11, 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#217 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:52 PM

lookin good

#218 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 09:51 AM

Travis,

I'm just curious to know, why you want to put an H-3 set up on your rare 120? I mean, to each their own, and you can do with it what you want, as it is your tractor, but you don't see very many 120's, and your tractor was nice even before you took it apart. I just can't understand why you want to make a rare tractor into something that can be more easily bought. There are guys out there who would love to have an original 120 but can't find them. I realize the 120 only has the H-1 set up, but that is how they were designed, and since they were only made two years, they are very collectible. If you want an H-3 set up, then why don't you just look for and buy a 140? Please, reconsider what you are thinking of doing, and keep the 120 as a original machine. I know the H-3 set up would be more pleasurable, but I'd hate to see you convert a great machine into something that it isn't, and will never hold its value as much as it would be worth original.

Please, just my opinion, and I hope there won't be hard feelings. I'm just trying to understand your thinking behind all of this, and to hopefully get you to reconsider your plan.
  • Trav1s said thank you

#219 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 10:40 AM

Travis,

I'm just curious to know, why you want to put an H-3 set up on your rare 120? I mean, to each their own, and you can do with it what you want, as it is your tractor, but you don't see very many 120's, and your tractor was nice even before you took it apart. I just can't understand why you want to make a rare tractor into something that can be more easily bought. There are guys out there who would love to have an original 120 but can't find them. I realize the 120 only has the H-1 set up, but that is how they were designed, and since they were only made two years, they are very collectible. If you want an H-3 set up, then why don't you just look for and buy a 140? Please, reconsider what you are thinking of doing, and keep the 120 as a original machine. I know the H-3 set up would be more pleasurable, but I'd hate to see you convert a great machine into something that it isn't, and will never hold its value as much as it would be worth original.

Please, just my opinion, and I hope there won't be hard feelings. I'm just trying to understand your thinking behind all of this, and to hopefully get you to reconsider your plan.

Been round and round in my head about this very issue. I know all the facts on the 120's too. I really was looking for a 140/300/316k/314 that I could afford when this one found me.

The thing is this: This 120 had an appointment to be parted out had I not picked it up. I am a "restomod" guy that is comfortable with "factory part upgrades" that can be easily removed. If I do go through with the H3 conversion I will keep the parts I removed so I can return it to factory build. Knowing this one will continue working in a "modified with factory parts" form is much easier for me to live with than its previous fate had I not made the purchase.

One more thought - It is not as nice as the pictures showed when I got it and currently show. Worker quality? Yup. Show quality? Not so much.

No hard feelings either. I :thumbs:

One last thought... I need the bracket that supports the muffler and bolts to the engine housing on the right side of the tractor. It is item #2 in the picture:
Posted Image

Edited by Trav1s, September 12, 2012 - 12:40 PM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#220 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 10:04 PM

Sent the funds today for the h3 setup. Here are pics for those who are not familiar with it.

140 valves 2

140 valves

• KennyP said thank you

#221 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 04:00 AM

Nice! Never seen one before.

#222 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:21 AM

I will take a pic of the h1, h2 and h3 valves next to each other when the parts arrive.
  • KennyP said thank you

#223 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 08:00 AM

The H3 set-up is at the post office! Pics later today
  • KennyP said thank you

#224 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 12:07 PM

H3 pics for now but not the best quality...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • KennyP said thank you

#225 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 12:18 PM

Okay! The handles have a key way for the other connectors to fit in. Neat!