#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 09:02 PM

Put the plough onto the 1655 and let my little guy try out ploughing for the first time.Made the first row for him and let him go to it.I felt kinda left out so put the other plough on the MF gc 2300 and helped him out.I know the garden didn't take very long.I called my neighbour to see if we could go play in his field across the road.His answer was go to it anywhere you want sooo we went out into the field and did some ploughing for a couple hrs.Sort of out own plough day.LOL.Larry:bounce:

Attached Thumbnails

• plough day 1..jpg
  • plough day 2..jpg
  • plough day 3..jpg

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 09:50 PM

That's awesome Larry, looks like he is already a pro at it :thumbs:

That soil looks really dark and rich.

#3 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 17, 2010 - 10:35 PM

It looks like the plot was already tilled?, I mean, no grass, bare dirt on the garden plot, just wondering why it needed plowing. Most farmers are using no till drills. I think the consensus is that the break down of compost/nutrients is done on the top few inches of soil. Plowing of "raw" earth, that which is covered by some sort of silage is necessary to turn up roots and start the breakdown process, but isn't that something to be done in the fall or very early spring? Anyone want to shed some light, thoughts on this one

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 05:26 AM

The 1655 looks like it is doing a good job.

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 07:26 AM

It looks like the plot was already tilled?, I mean, no grass, bare dirt on the garden plot, just wondering why it needed plowing. Most farmers are using no till drills. I think the consensus is that the break down of compost/nutrients is done on the top few inches of soil. Plowing of "raw" earth, that which is covered by some sort of silage is necessary to turn up roots and start the breakdown process, but isn't that something to be done in the fall or very early spring? Anyone want to shed some light, thoughts on this one

I usually don't plough the garden in the spring[This was just for fun]your right it was tilled last week just to try out the tiller[again just for fun] Here it's early spring[earlier then normal.] There's still frost in the ground yet,sooo it's early spring.Just thought we'd have some fun and what better way to teach the young ones.Usually the garden and fields don't get worked here untill the very end on April begining of May . So were out playing and having some fun before the real work begins.Larry

#6 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 18, 2010 - 07:53 AM

I usually don't plough the garden in the spring[This was just for fun]your right it was tilled last week just to try out the tiller[again just for fun] Here it's early spring[earlier then normal.] There's still frost in the ground yet,sooo it's early spring.Just thought we'd have some fun and what better way to teach the young ones.Usually the garden and fields don't get worked here untill the very end on April begining of May . So were out playing and having some fun before the real work begins.Larry

Thanks for clearing things up. Whenever someone post pictures I look at them, but I REALLY look at what's in the background, I'm just nosy, lol

#7 tractormike ONLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 11:46 AM

It looks like you both had fun. That's a good way to get the next generation interested in this hobby.