• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pehrsc OFFLINE  

Pehrsc

• Member No: 5801
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 10:46 PM

I am a new member and need help with my Ariens S-14. The 14 HP Kohler runs great, but I can not get it to move! This tractor has been in the family for years and I would like to get it operable. I have no experience with hydrostatic equipment. I can not find where I should even put oil in the hydrostatic portion of this tractor. I read through the old manual and can not find anything on how to put oil in it or to even check if it needs oil??? I am at a loss with this and need some help! How do I get my tractor to move forward? I move the lever and nothing happens!

#2 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 03:29 PM

have you engaged the hydro from the push in pull out lever, under the seat on the hydo unit

#3 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 07:51 PM

As stated check the release under the seat pan,check the oil in the lower rear, a piece of pipe with a plug in it.If its been siting for a long time it may be stuck in park as the lever may move but the cable controlling the park mechanism isn't working.Pretty common event.

#4 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 10:35 PM

what cable is on a S-14 ,besides the throttle, choke. The PRND lever is all hydraulic, or did I misunderstand?

#5 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 06:16 AM

The hydro lever has a cable attached so when you put the lever in park position it locks the rear in park.Mechanism is on the 'drivers side' underneath the rear

#6 Pehrsc OFFLINE  

Pehrsc

• Member No: 5801
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 09:05 AM

Thank you guys for your help. I have figured out that there was a sort of lever under the seat that pushed two little rods into the hydro that prevented it from moving. Once I flipped this lever it moved! Now it is leaking out of the rear diff so I need to find and fix the leak. The tractor runs like a champ and does need a little adjusting of the hydro as it creeps a little but overall I figured out how to move the tractor!!!! Fix the leak and I will be mowing and moving snow!!!!

Thank you for your help!!!