#1 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 08:23 PM

Well after researching mig welders I bought a new Hobart 140 handler. I also bought a tank of co2/argon mix gas. I might get time to set it up and build the cart for it tomorrow. I already have an oxy/acetelene torch and a 225 amp stick welder. The mig should work good on my garden tractor size projects.

#2 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 17, 2010 - 10:39 PM

You will absolutely love it. I really thought I wanted the gas set up too, until I used my friends with co2/argon/flux core. I'll buy a small torch set up for brazing and the like, but for MIG I like the flux core

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 05:25 AM

The Hobart 140 is a great little welder,you should be happy with it.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 09:40 AM

Using gas gives clean welds, and supposedly better penetration, but I use strictly flux core wire. Too much hassle with gas, plus wind doesn't affect flux core. Yep, you're gonna love that Hobart!

#5 NUTNDUN ONLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 09:48 AM

That is what I have and I really like it. I haven't had much time to weld with it this year but once we move I will have the room and we have a couple of projects to get started on.

#6 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 18, 2010 - 11:02 AM

Using gas gives clean welds, and supposedly better penetration, but I use strictly flux core wire. Too much hassle with gas, plus wind doesn't affect flux core. Yep, you're gonna love that Hobart!

I haven't used mine or one with gas enough to know, funny thing is I heard welds were smother and better penetration with flux core, but thinking about it, that doesn't sem right. Anyway I love mine, I think I'll go out and practice a little

#7 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 08:47 PM

I'm not a professional welder but have been using my Lincoln SP-135 plus MIG welder for a few years now. When I was looking to by my welder I asked the welding supply staff many questions. One thing I noticed is that the welder I bought was rated up to 5/16th thick mild steal with flux core (gasless) but only up to 12gauge (.105in.)with solid wire and shielding gas. Also with the solid wire and gas it is rated for down to 24 gauge (.024in.) but with the flux core wire it was only rated down to 20 gauge (.036in.). I asked the salesman about this and he said flux core gives better penetration and solid wire with gas is better for thinner material. He said the reason for this is that the shielding gas actually cools the weld while your welding(it's blowing on it). I use both gas and gasless. Many times I just use whatever wire is in the machine as long as it's within the capabilities for the thickness of metal I'm welding. I do have to use higher settings with gas than gasless on the same material, there is a base setting guide for material thickness inside the cover of my machine. I do prefer welding with gas,it gives a much cleaner weld, less splatter, produces much less smoke and it's easier to see what your welding. I especially prefer using the gas in the winter when it's cold and I'm welding in my heated garage, with flux core I have to keep the overhead door open, with gas I just crack a window. Outside if there's wind you do need flux core, the wind blows the shielding gas away. We have the same welder I have at home at my work but don't have a bottle for it. We only use flux core and I have always been able to weld anything I needed with no problem. The gas mostly isn't necessary but it's nice to have sometimes.

#8 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 09:45 PM

I did get to the garage this afternoon and got my welder put together and tried it out. I also built a cart for it. I am using pieces of "metal lumber" to build the cart. Metal lumber is angle iron with holes pre punched all over it, kind of like erector set pieces. I have a few more things to add to the cart before I paint it. I'll post pictures when I get it done.
I welded with the flux core wire today. I use a wire feed at work but have always had solid wire with gas. I welded on some scrap pieces today and it worked quite well. There was probably more smoke than I am used to when using the gas and solid wire but the weld came out good and was still alot cleaner than when I use the stick welder.
I really splurged when I bought this welder and also bought an auto darkening helmet. I like this new toy also. It has variable darkness settings from 9 to 13.
Overall I think I am really going to like this welder for my projects.
Now to find the next tool on my want list, a milling machine to go with my lathe.

#9 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 10:08 PM

I have found that different brands of flux core wire are better than others. I was buying Inweld brand from the welding supply store thinking it would be good stuff. Then I ran out on a sunday and had to buy some at the local hardware store. It was Forney brand. It cost a couple bucks more but was way better wire, It almost looks like I used gas. If your looking for a milling machine check out Harbor Freights 33686 Milling/Drilling machine. It is the same machine that Grizzly, Southern Tool, Granger, Enco and others sell but is much cheaper and you can get it shipped to the store with no shipping costs. I bought mine 2 years ago and love it. It was originally $899 but I used a 20% off coupon, can't beat it.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 19, 2010 - 04:33 AM

You guys are making me drool over other tools now LOL. I have to give other wire a try. I have been using the wire that they sell at tractor supply and while it does seem to do a good job I get a lot of splatter with it, almost like I welded with a stick welder.