• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 titan man OFFLINE  

titan man

• Member No: 5389
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 06:27 PM

what is the best paint for a do it yourselfer to use on hoods and fenders?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 06:33 PM

That question would come with thousands of answers, none hardly the same. I use PPG acrylic enamels, shot with an HVLP gun. I rarely ever use spray cans, except for primers & small parts. Others get great results with a spray can though. Mostly a personal preference as your question was asked. Now durability, shine, etc....that's a whole different question.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 06:51 PM

I recently painted the fender deck for my 314 with Tremclad JD green spray cans. It seems to me to work very well going on nice and smooth and is a good match colour wise. I found it gave a better finish and was easier to use than the JD spray cans.
Heres what it looked like. I got a bit of orange peel in the finish but I am happy with it overall.
DSCF6218.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF6003.jpg

Edited by JDBrian, October 20, 2011 - 04:53 AM.

#4 guglielmo69 OFFLINE  

guglielmo69

• Member No: 4109
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 05:06 PM

I use valspar spray cans

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 05:10 PM

I usually use DuPont automotive paints,sprayed on with a 3M HVLP gun.

#6 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 06:40 PM

I use off-the-shelf John Deere ag green, sometimes Valspar "restoration Series". ~~ grnspot

#7 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 10:06 PM

The best paint is whatever you are most comfortable with using that looks good to you!

Rattle can is the easiest to do, but even then you have to do multiple coats, dry time, etc. If you don't have a compressor and invest money in guns, supplies, chemicals, etc - spray can is the way to go. And with care and patience, you can do a really pretty job that way.

IF you have the time, equipment, and space, air pressure gun (either conventional or HPLV) is more efficient and produces easier results once you know what you are doing. But there is a learning curve - spray painting is more art than science, and it takes practice to get good. Also, if you spray paint, you get access to a harder quality (2 part and catalyst paints) finish than you can make with a spray can. But you have to be careful, because there are some health hazard chemicals involved with these processes.

Shoot, there was even a thread recently about a Youtube video of someone who roller painted a car! And it came out pretty good!

Personnally, I gravitate toward auto quality paints (Nason and DuPont). But I have the equipment, and have been spraying cars and such for a while. Nason makes a 1 part paint called Industrial and Equipment paint that is pretty durable and easy to work with. They have it premixed in most of the major farm colors, and can mix up anything wierd if needed. Most of the other major distributers probably have something similar, thats just what I use...
  • JDBrian and brokenfeather have said thanks