• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 09:29 AM

Hi everyone, I'm new here, picked up a 59 Roper, machine runs, needs a cylinder head , spark plug hole was stripped out by a previous owner, anyone know where I can get one???

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 10:34 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Lmiller , I can't help you with a head but I once took a head that the spark plug hole was stripped to a machine shop and they put a Heilcoil in it and it's been in use since , Al

#3 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 11:23 AM

Welcome to the forum Lmiller glad to have you here.

Your head problem is quite common in the motorcycle field and in some cases even if they are not stripped they are know to do this so they are Heli-coiled before they strip.

As Alc has said it can be repaired with a Heli-coil and you will never have that problem again, it's not expensive around $45 per hole, which is less than a used head which may have to be done anyway if it was abused.

Most machine shops can do this for you or you can get a kit and to it yourself I have, but to be honest I don't anymore because it's just as cheap to let the shop do it.

The shop I used is highly specialized to deal with all kinds of small engine problems and even carry allot of out of production parts, so if you have one close to you make them your new best friend and they will be there for you when you need them.

Hope this helps, get than thing running and post some pics I always like to admire other members tractors.

Ron

#4 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 07:49 AM

Ok, thanks for the info, had that in mind as plan b !!! Luckily nieghbor owns a machine shop so I don't think it will be that much $$$, I'll some pics of what I have for goody's here soon !!! I have a Panzer, another Sears Suburban st12, a 1940 Oliver Cle Trac HG42, and a Jari sickle bar... Good site here by the way...

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 09:49 PM

:welcome: to GTtalk. Hope the head gets fixed soon.