Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 01:03 PM

Sounds like your coming right along. It's nice your enjoying yourself and making useful items for your tractors. The really neat thing about welding is the learning curve never ends.

:ditto:
Sounds like you are being productive while you practice:thumbs:
Cool that explains why I always forget everything I have learned til I start welding again. I think my learning curve is a big circle:confuse::smilewink:
  • lyall said thank you

#18 Nonyab OFFLINE  

Nonyab

• Member No: 8179
  • 1 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 07:23 PM

I thought at my age I was the last person to start back welding. Last welding done in my school days. That was a long time ago. Now I want to relearn the skill and do my own repair. Anyway, got a friend who was a welding instructor and he is making it easier for me.

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Guy's Since I joined this site I have been reading about how a lot of you are fabrication and fixing things by welding. I have wanted to learn for a quite some time so I decided to take the plunge, Never to old :smile1:

My Son-in-law can weld quite well and his brother is even better so I'm going to get him to teach me. A friend has a small welder I can have so I figured that would be good to learn on. Has anyone used the helmets from Harbor freight?

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Must be a trend. I picked up a small Century wire feed welder the other day. A good deal with a cart and an auto darkening helmet. I need to pick up the rest of the safety gear I need and I've been watching some welding videos and learning about it on line. I've never welded before so it's new to me and I'm over 50. I've got a couple of GT related repairs to do in the spring after I get some practice. I don't know if I trust an auto darkening helmet. I'll probably pick up a conventional one to have as well.

#21 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 05:34 PM

After over 40 years of welding I finally acquired an auto helmet 2 years ago. Neck problems brought this on. I'm quite certain that you will flash yourself less frequently with the auto helmet. Unfortunately I find myself trying to flip my helmet down before I strike an arc.
The one drawback with the auto helmets is they tend to not function properly if it's very cold.
Enjoy your new welder.

#22 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 07:24 PM

I thought at my age I was the last person to start back welding. Last welding done in my school days. That was a long time ago. Now I want to relearn the skill and do my own repair. Anyway, got a friend who was a welding instructor and he is making it easier for me.

Thanks Guy's Since I joined this site I have been reading about how a lot of you are fabrication and fixing things by welding. I have wanted to learn for a quite some time so I decided to take the plunge, Never to old :smile1:

My Son-in-law can weld quite well and his brother is even better so I'm going to get him to teach me. A friend has a small welder I can have so I figured that would be good to learn on. Has anyone used the helmets from Harbor freight?

Both of you guys should do good, it sure is a handy skill to have and would be easier to learn with an experienced hand beside you. See below. Good luck, be careful and safe!

Must be a trend. I picked up a small Century wire feed welder the other day. A good deal with a cart and an auto darkening helmet. I need to pick up the rest of the safety gear I need and I've been watching some welding videos and learning about it on line. I've never welded before so it's new to me and I'm over 50. I've got a couple of GT related repairs to do in the spring after I get some practice. I don't know if I trust an auto darkening helmet. I'll probably pick up a conventional one to have as well.

Brian you are doing it the way I learned. I have never been afraid to tackle almost any project or task after gaining the needed knowledge like you have and I have never had any "training" with a welder. But seem to get a little better every time I use it. See below. Good luck, be careful and safe!

After over 40 years of welding I finally acquired an auto helmet 2 years ago. Neck problems brought this on. I'm quite certain that you will flash yourself less frequently with the auto helmet. Unfortunately I find myself trying to flip my helmet down before I strike an arc.
The one drawback with the auto helmets is they tend to not function properly if it's very cold.
Enjoy your new welder.

I got an auto darkening helmet last year and love it over the old fashioned one, which I still have just in case. And I too reached for the helmet quite a few times before I got used to it. Welding is one of those things that you dont need all the time but sure is nice to have one when the need arises.

#23 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 07:25 PM

Has anyone used the helmets from Harbor freight?

Yep, the auto-darkening, and they work great. I have 2 helmets at my personal shop, one being from HF, then the farm shops is a HF. Both the HF helmets are several years old & not a problem out of either one. Original battery even......I guess they still have a battery, but they are solar paneled.

#24 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 07:31 PM

I need to replace the lens in mine, it's a bit to dark for me. I tend to miss the crack I am trying to weld.

#25 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 07:43 PM

I tend to miss the crack I am trying to weld.

Yep that's me too!!! It really sinks when you just laid down a nice bead only to find out you missed it by an 1/8" :wallbanging:

#26 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 09:23 PM

I need to replace the lens in mine, it's a bit to dark for me. I tend to miss the crack I am trying to weld.

Yep that's me too!!! It really sinks when you just laid down a nice bead only to find out you missed it by an 1/8" :wallbanging:

Come on now guys, is that our helmets or our old eyes, I seem to have the same trouble.

#27 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Come on now guys, is that our helmets or our old eyes, I seem to have the same trouble.

In my case, I hate to say it, but it's my aging eyes. Changing cover lenses sure does help though! Last time it didn't help much to change the lens, so I removed the auto lens box & gave it a good de-smoking. BIG difference!

#28 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 10:02 PM

I find my auto to be just a bit to dark for the mig, but fine for the stick. I think I'll get the welding supply
guy to bring a different one and demo it.

#29 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Mine was a gift and it came from TSC. It has an adjustable lens so you can change the tint. It is the one thing that causes some problems. Once in awhile it won't turn dark so I have to change the adjustment a little and then it works fine. The wiper in the pot must get dirty. Other then that it work fine.
As a side note, from my research, even if the lens does not darken you are still protected from UV harm. As a matter of fact it doesn't even cause spots in front of my eyes.

#30 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 11:23 PM

The soapstone they sell alongside other products helps with seeing the weld and not missing. Use that.
And if you're ever sitting on the fence about getting a gas welder or not... Get the gas. You can always save $ and running for gas by just running flux core through the same welder. The gas has 0 slag and very little splatter for when that's wanted.