• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 obrionusa OFFLINE  

obrionusa

• Member No: 249
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 04:36 AM

Hi, I just joined for some input on a tractor. I have a chance to buy a S-14 with a snow blade, no mower deck. He said it has hydro valve body and its running rich from sitting so long. I just wanted something to drag a wagon out to my garden and push some snow with it. If I do get this I would like to have a tiller for it. Anyhow he wants $650 for it. If I like it I will try to get it for $500. Is that a good buy or about what it is worth? How hard are the attachments to find? Please help, I'm thinking of looking at it today.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 04:43 AM

:welcometogttalk:obrionusa,glad to have you here.You should post in the member introductions forum and introduce yourself and let people know your here.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 06:32 AM

:welcometogttalk:Welcome to the Forum, obrionusa

I do not know much about these kind of tractors, so I cant really say if its a deal or not.
There are alot of knowledgable people on here, so Hopefully someone will be along to answer your question shortly.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 09:58 AM

If it's in good working condition & cosmetically looks very good, then I'd say $500 is right. With deck & all ready to put to work, no issues, the $650 would apply. They are good tractors, or so I hear. If I remember right, they have the Kohler K321 engine, which is hard to beat. Yours have front & rear PTO? 3 point lift in rear? If with all these and in good shape, then $650 would be a fair price. This tractor is identical to the New Holland S-14...one in the same. Can you post a pic of her?
Do please post an intro at "Member Introductions". Hope you make this a regular place to visit.

#5 obrionusa OFFLINE  

obrionusa

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 10:16 AM

Here is the listing. Im not real sure whether its a 514 or S-14.
ariens 5-14 garden tractor

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 10:36 AM

Worth $500, maybe a bit more. Looks to have the rear pto, and as stated could add lift arms for 3pt. Kohler 321, 14hp engine. Yes, it's an "S" 14.

#7 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 17, 2010 - 12:07 PM

yes I would give that for it . 14 hp kohler i dont think it has a triller pto i would have to see the back better, and it's a s-14 i have a s14 GT16 and GT18 and the GT20 hp ariens good heavy tractor will pull a trailer and push snow till no tomarrow. but it looks like there is a gas tank mounted to the side of the hood that is not right it should be under the rear seat pan be carful take a good look at it there's a manual on the ariens in the manual section good luck James

Edited by James66, April 17, 2010 - 12:14 PM.

#8 obrionusa OFFLINE  

obrionusa

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 02:02 PM

If the gas tank is indeed on the side is $500 top dollar for this machine? Like I said, He is wanting $650. I think he has been to a lot of horse trades. So it may take some work to get him down to $500. I just assume it has a pto on the back.

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 - 03:40 PM

If the gas tank is indeed on the side is $500 top dollar for this machine?

In my book, $500 to $550 would be tops if that's a fuel tank. I thought it might be a toolbox, but I believe it is a tank now that it was mentioned.

#10 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 17, 2010 - 10:54 PM

No REAR PTO, that's the transmission oil plug, tank on the side may be a tool box, or aux hydraulic resorvior, either way it's been "modofied". Split the difference 575.00

#11 obrionusa ONLINE  

obrionusa

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 05:33 AM

Does the tiller attachment hook up to the pto or the hydrolic? On my ford industrial we have both on the rear. I use the hydrolic to run my harley rake.

#12 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 18, 2010 - 08:02 AM

Does the tiller attachment hook up to the pto or the hydrolic? On my ford industrial we have both on the rear. I use the hydrolic to run my harley rake.

Well if you HAD a rear PTO it would be a shaft drive out the back, run from your Hydro pump. There is a small triangular shaped cover plate on the rear when taken off will hold your shaft with a pillow block type of supoort, What you will need to find is a Ariens shaft drive tiller. It may not have to be an Ariens, but it will have to be shaft drive. The rear PTO kits are regularly on ebay, but will set you back at least 150.00, make sure you get the complete kit with the PTO cover and electric clutch. You will also need the 3 point drag bars, lift links and center link for your 3 point , about 150.00

#13 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 18, 2010 - 08:03 AM

tiller attachment hook up to the pto and hydraulic lift the tiller. the pto is on the back side of the hrydo pump and is eletic works off a swicth

#14 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 18, 2010 - 11:10 AM

Well if you HAD a rear PTO it would be a shaft drive out the back, run from your Hydro pump. There is a small triangular shaped cover plate on the rear when taken off will hold your shaft with a pillow block type of supoort, What you will need to find is a Ariens shaft drive tiller. It may not have to be an Ariens, but it will have to be shaft drive. The rear PTO kits are regularly on ebay, but will set you back at least 150.00, make sure you get the complete kit with the PTO cover and electric clutch. You will also need the 3 point drag bars, lift links and center link for your 3 point , about 150.00

I posted at 8:02, you at 8:03, I think we covered it, lol

#15 obrionusa OFFLINE  

obrionusa

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 - 09:26 PM

You guys were all over trying to help me out and I really appriciate it. Well I did go look at it today and the gas tank was on the side, battery was down and had a wheel horse plow rigged up to it. The chain was wrapped around the snow blade frame with a nut and bolt holding it on. I didnt even want this machine, let alone make an offer. So I will try and be patient until I find the right set up for my needs. Thanks again guys. I hope I can count on you on my next voyage on my tractor hunt.