• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 coopduc OFFLINE  

coopduc

• Member No: 4419
  • 0 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 08:02 PM

I have a fuel gauge like the one in the picture that doesn't work because the float doesn't float any more. The rest it works perfectly, the mechanism is free and the needle moves when I move it up and down by hand, but it just dowsn't float in gas any more. I'm guessing that there was some kind of coating on the float that long ago has disintegrated, dissolved, or is otherwise long gone. I know I can buy a new gauge for <$25, but I'm a cheap SOB and wondering if anyone knows a way to rejuvinate the float so it floats again ?? Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• gauge.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 08:12 PM

The older ones had cork floats & would float if half the cork rotted off. If this one is hollow, chances are it's full of gasoline. Other than finding the hole, expelling the gasoline, then sealing with high grade epoxy, it would be easiest just to replace it. But like you....I'm cheap & would have to at least try! BTW....last one I bought for a JD was only a bit over $11.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 09:30 PM

If you could save the inner piece and replace the outside with part of a wine bottle cork?

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 05:17 AM

I have one like that on the 314. The float appears to be a solid piece of light weight plastic of some kind. I would make sure that the float moves freely on the rods and centre screw. If the rods/screw are bent or jamming somehow it will stop the float from rising to the top of the fuel. Mine still works fine but the gauge pointer paint is starting to deteriorate.

#5 coopduc OFFLINE  

coopduc

• Member No: 4419
  • 0 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 08:47 AM

I found the problem. Even though the float moved freely up and down the rods and twisted flat strip when moved by hand, I noticed the majority of the strip has some sort of oxidation or residue of evaporated gas, or something on the surface. It aparently created just enough friction against the float that it would stick as soon as it entered this area. My solution was to take some metal polish on a paper towel and clean this residue off the strip. The entire length of it is now clean and shiny and the gauge works perfectly again! Total cost to fix: $0.00 !

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 08:51 AM

There ya go....success!

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 10:54 AM

I figured it was something simple like that. It's nice to solve some problems on these tractors without spending all day underneath or big$$. I'll have to have a close look at mine. It seems to stick at certain places.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 11:03 AM

I gotta get a new gauge for my 1655 because the lens is missing and it acts like a funnel for the rain water to go straight in to the gas tank.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 11:07 AM

I gotta get a new gauge for my 1655 because the lens is missing and it acts like a funnel for the rain water to go straight in to the gas tank.

George - That is a good feature. The dilution will improve your fuel economy!

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 11:10 AM

George - That is a good feature. The dilution will improve your fuel economy!

I wish. I already had to dump out an almost full tank of gas because of all the water. No matter how much gas treatment we added it didn't help. I did however dump that gas then in to my pickup truck. :D

Now I keep a plastic bag over the gas cap when the tractor sits outside until I get over my cheapness and just by a new cap/gauge.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 06:04 PM

I wish. I already had to dump out an almost full tank of gas because of all the water. No matter how much gas treatment we added it didn't help. I did however dump that gas then in to my pickup truck. :D

Now I keep a plastic bag over the gas cap when the tractor sits outside until I get over my cheapness and just by a new cap/gauge.

Just move the fuel pick up higher, then the water will be below it.