• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PEIslander OFFLINE  

PEIslander

• Member No: 4934
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 07:15 PM

A new owner of an old 317 (type 2 engine)which needs some TLC. Previous owner did not take any care of it at all, so it must be one tough tractor.

I found a second 317 (for parts) which had a broken rod in it's type 1 engine, and my neighbour has a 140 (1) which has a destroyed transmission - foolishly attempted to tow it on the road. He had a merry ride when the hydro locked up solid!!
Completely removed the teeth from one internal gear, plus other damage.

He really liked the 140. Engine started great in the winter. burned no oil. He used it on a daily basis year round - pushing snow with a homemade blade, cutting grass, or just out for a drive.

With the parts available, I could put the hydro from the second 317 in the 140, and have it going again, or option 2, put perhaps the 140 engine in my second 317 chassis.

Questions for group.
How difficult would it be to fit the single cylinder from the 140 into the 317?
Would that be a better option than repairing the 140?

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 07:29 PM

PEislander, First of WELCOME to GT talk, Glad you found us. If the 140 is a late style, with drum brakes, you can put the 317 trans axle into the 140 with no issues. That is what I would do if it were mine. Then you can keep the rest of the 317 for parts for both tractors. This will give you 2 great tractors from 2 different JD era's. To put the 14 hp into the 317, you will have to buy the proper engine mounts from a 314 to do this swap. I hope this helps...

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 08:01 PM

I'm with Brian, put the hydro from the blown 317 into the 140. Then take your time going through the running 317. Two tractors is ALWAYS better than one!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 07:14 PM

I just saw this thread. Welcome to the JD forum of GTTalk PEIslander. I assume you live in or are from PEI. My 83 314 was originally purchased at Central Equipment in Summerside. There must be a fair number of those tractors in your area if you have 3 of them. Not many come for sale over here in N.S.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 07:30 PM

:wave: PEIslander Welcome to GTtalk! We're glad to have you with us! Sounds like you're getting the advice that you seek! We'd love to see some pics of your trio when you get the chance! Thanks for signing up!