• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Tazfink OFFLINE  

Tazfink

• Member No: 5634
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 12:36 PM

Just a quick update on the little tractor, we were at my folks' house over the weekend and fired up the "Wisconsin". We had a spare spark plug wire off of another engine that we acquired when we got the tractors. The new wire had the hold-down tab on it that is held down by one of the head bolts. So I go to take the head bolt out and snap it off. GRRR!!!
I also tried to clean up the threads for the exhaust, no luck tightening up any threads in it. I think I will just have to JB Weld an extension in it. I have a chunk of 2"OD Stainless Steel Spray bar that has a 3/4 NPT Bung welded in it. I think the little tractor needs a stack!!! If I can remember the pipe the next time I head back I will have to mock it up and take a pic.
I am also curious about putting a belt drive 12v starter motor on the pull start pulley... Any Ideas?

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 01:23 PM

If you can find one of the starter generators off of an old kohler that should work. Hopefully one of the others with more experience will jump in here and give you directions.
Good luck with your project.

#18 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 09:33 AM

I have 7 1/2 hp Wisconsin with starter generator. The pulley on the flywheel is about 9" Dia. Even then I had to put a decomp valve in the head so I could start it in cold weather.:wallbanging:

#19 Tazfink OFFLINE  

Tazfink

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 12:38 PM

Just a quick update on the little tractor, we were at my folks' house over the weekend and fired up the "Wisconsin". We had a spare spark plug wire off of another engine that we acquired when we got the tractors. The new wire had the hold-down tab on it that is held down by one of the head bolts. So I go to take the head bolt out and snap it off. GRRR!!!

Quick update on the Head Bolt, IT'S FIXED!! Dad must have been bored and got the busted bolt out. It did not come easy though as the Eazy Out snapped trying to get it out. So he had to drill it out the best he could and run a tap down the hole. But it's fixed, that's the main thing.

Does anyone have any info on adjusting the brakes on old Ford rear axles (wide 5) like this I assume that these brakes would have been the cable brakes as they are not hydraulic. The pedals on the floor just pull a linkage connected to a lever on the inside of the drum. I haven't been back or had time to try pulling the hubs off.

I might have to try to talk my wife into letting me bring it home so I can work on it over the winter in our garage... I already have a 66 Chevy C-10 that I need to be working on...

Too many projects, too little time...

Edited by Tazfink, October 05, 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#20 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 10:15 PM

I might have to try to talk my wife into letting me bring it home so I can work on it over the winter in our garage... I already have a 66 Chevy C-10 that I need to be working on...

Too many projects, too little time...

Welcome to the club. I'm retired and I still can't get everything done I want to. Used to own a 1930 Model A tudoor but I can't remember how the brakes are adjusted. Do a Google search. I'll bet you will find something if you word it right.

#21 Tazfink OFFLINE  

Tazfink

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 12:37 PM

Turns out the Continental has changed hands. My father informed me over the weekend that he has sold the unfinished tractor project. Kind of bummed about it, but I didn't have time to work on it. It was sold to someone in the same town so we will be able to keep tabs on it. I will try to keep you all updated on its progress if possible.

#22 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 01:42 PM

:wave: Hi I am from South Dakota also. I live just a little bit further south than Chris (CVANS).

I am glad to see that your dad didn't sell the little home made tractor. He was trying to sell it at the Twin Brooks Show and I told him that he should keep it. It is a cool looking little tractor with all of the attachments.

I am going to try to bring mowers up to that show this coming year beacause I herd that Twin Brooks will be featuring lawn mowers.

Hope to see you there also. I'll keep you informed about other shows in the area.
  • Tazfink said thank you