3 replies to this topic

#1 eljw24 OFFLINE  

eljw24

• Member No: 5608
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 08:29 AM

Hey y'all.
I went to cut my grass for the first time since buying it privately a week ago. It drove into the shed with no problems that day but this weekend it wouldn't start. I tried to jump the battery to the starter solenoid, no sparks or anything, so I jumped it with my car. When I turned it off to cool down it would'nt restart.

My question is, how do I tell if its the battery or the charging system?

Thnx

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 10:28 AM

Welcome to GTTAlk. The fact that it started when boosted means that you have a dead battery. The question is this. Is the battery bad or is the charging system not working. I would try to charge the battery and see if it will hold a charge. If you can prove the battery is good then the charging system is the culprit. I would check the wiring to make sure the connections from the charging system are good. Also make sure you have a good connection from the battery- terminal to the engine chassis. Look for any fuses that might be blown. Let us know what you find.

#3 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 12:22 PM

We have the tech manual in our manuals section here: LT Series Technical Manual TM1695 - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

There are wiring diagrams and schematics in the manual with some basic trouble shooting information. Also, you will find in our manuals section an operator's manual for these LTs.

#4 eljw24 OFFLINE  

eljw24

• Member No: 5608
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 12:43 PM

Thanks Tmo, I downloaded both those manuals but haven't been able to read them yet.