• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 21, 2011 - 08:14 PM

so i was doing some grading in the driveway and i noticed it stopped blowing blue smoke:confuse: so i shut it down checked the oil, and it only burned a lil bit, so i fired her up and took her down the road. well i noticed now shes burning a little too rich as it blows black smoke. but the reason i never made the mixture leaner is simply because when it burns oil too i think the mixture was about right. so tomorrow ill start it up and if it burns black ill shut it down and adjust the carb. i think my oil burning troubles may be coming to an end soon. i swear the ATF in the oil helped it alot.

#2 PennsylvaniaNewt OFFLINE  

PennsylvaniaNewt

• Member No: 5693
  • 49 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 08:39 PM

Never heard of using ATF in an engine. I heard Sea Foam works good though!

#3 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 21, 2011 - 08:47 PM

yeah but nobody by me except wally world carries seafoam and im boycotting walmarts automotive products so i used a quart of ATF to replace a quart of oil

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 09:01 PM

i swear the ATF in the oil helped it alot.

Glad to hear the Treatment is working!

yeah but nobody by me except wally world carries seafoam

Our TSC carries it.

#5 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 21, 2011 - 09:09 PM

tsc by me does carry it but its in jersey, and i cant drive out of state myself till im 18 sooo. ill keep using mmo or atf. both seem to have the same affect considering mmo smells feels like and burns the same as ATF. also ive noticed when MMO burns it burns very dirty because ive used it to start the burning barrell once. i think theres hope for my bolens, im glad i didnt spend nearly 400 bucks rebuilding it, considering im putting my rebuild fund towards a 3 point i should be getting!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 09:28 PM

That's good news maybe you lucked out and it was a stuck ring ?

Ron

#7 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 21, 2011 - 09:30 PM

i think your correct and it was a stuck ring. sometimes it still blows some bluw for a short period but it sat for supposedly four years. well i call BS and say 10+ due to the condition of the front tires. and the gas smelled like it was ancient.

#8 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 22, 2011 - 03:18 PM

so i went for a nice spin today, blew smoke for the first couple minuts then it thinned out to clear with a hint of black, signaling its still too rich. but shes getting better and better. my friend recommended putting half an ounce of ATF in the gas tank so it keeps burning some

#9 caseguy ONLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 03:38 PM

I'm glad that you're seeing some improvement! I had a mechanic friend of mine recommend using ATF for stuck rings once. He said he'd always run it down hill and let the back pressure suck some of the ATF up around the rings. He also said not to leave it in there too long because it doesn't have the same lubricative properties as motor oil and could cause excess wear if left in too long. Just a heads up J. Hope that you've got it fixed!

#10 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 22, 2011 - 08:53 PM

yeah it seemed to work. i had my doubts but i said wth and went on with it. now i almost want to take the one head off and de-carbon it because the burned oil leaves alot of carbon buildup.

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 09:17 PM

The reason the ATF works for stuck rings is that it expands when heated. If you look at an auto tranny dip stick you will see a level for both hot and cold, also some PS unit use it and have the same markings. Yes dont leave it in the engine long as it also cleans off oil and leaves you with less lube at the wearing parts.

I would try a hotter plug or leaning out the fuel before i worried about large carbon build ups. Both of these will raise the cylinder temps and burn out a lot of the carbon.
  • mikebramel said thank you

#12 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 22, 2011 - 09:48 PM

ok thanks for the advice, no more ATF in the engine right now just oil with some MMO. also what is a hotter plug?

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 11:27 AM

Went one size up years ago on my Massey with the Continental. Was told that with the long idle periods at parades and such they would do better. Also for the heavy work periods (pulling Plowing etc), they wouldn't cause any problems or loss of power.

I found the following answer on Yahoo. Seems to sum it up pretty well.

The heat range of a spark plug is determined by the temperature of the spark plug tip which is controlled by the amount and material type composite construction of the ceramic insulator on the tip which affects its thermal conductivity. The more the thermal conductivity of the spark plug tip the cooler the plug and vice versa. Vehicles which operate mostly in stop and go city traffic and idle for long periods of time would benefit from a hotter plug to prevent fouling and vehicles which operate mostly at highway speeds would benefit from a cooler plug to prevent fuel ignition before the spark plug fires, aka pre-ignition. But spark plugs in the mid range are best for modern-day vehicles with computer controlled air/fuel mixture which assures optimal mixture and combustion at all speeds.

#14 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 23, 2011 - 11:56 AM

so how you you know if a plug is a hotter plug or a cooler plug?

#15 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 12:10 PM

When you go to get a new plug ask them for the next higher heat range plug, I get mine from an engine shop so they just grab the one I ask for.

Ron