• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sadiedad OFFLINE  

sadiedad

• Member No: 3463
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:00 PM

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the hour meter?
No wires are hooked up or lying around. I would like to hook it back up. Thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:13 PM

The black or green goes to ground, the red goes to the "Ignition".

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:20 PM

To be sure, please post the wire colors. The meter itself should have + & - marked on it's back.

#4 sadiedad OFFLINE  

sadiedad

• 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:22 PM

There are no wires at all for the hour meter

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:25 PM

There are no wires at all for the hour meter

The hour meter has spades or threaded terminals on it then? If that's the case, you need to get a look at the back of the hour meter to see which is the positive spade, then run it to ignition, other to ground.

#6 sadiedad OFFLINE  

sadiedad

• 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:35 PM

no marking of which is + and -. Also there are no empty terminals on the ignition.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:41 PM

You can always tap into the ignition wire at the + side of the coil. If there is no indication of + and - on the meter then it may be possible that it will run in either direction. If it is hooked up wrong it will run backwards. Then you simply switch the leads. Are you sure there is no indication such as a red dot for +?

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:45 PM

What brand is the hour meter?

#9 sadiedad OFFLINE  

sadiedad

• 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 07:11 PM

borg

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 07:53 PM

I can't find any info on Borg Warner hour meters. On the Hobbs, it doesn't kill them if hooked up backwards, but they just won't work if backwards. Then you just switch the polarity if it doesn't work the first time.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 05:26 AM

Here is the wiring for the LGT 165. Don't know if it will be of help, but if the meter is in the correct hole, may give you which side is positive. Remember, this is looking at the back side. Good luck!
FordWiringDiagram2.jpg
  • sadiedad said thank you

#12 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted October 27, 2015 - 10:11 PM

I can't find any info on Borg Warner hour meters. On the Hobbs, it doesn't kill them if hooked up backwards, but they just won't work if backwards. Then you just switch the polarity if it doesn't work the first time.

Did you ever figure this out? I just got a Borg hour meter for my Ariens and it has the spades with no markings. I hooked it up
And it runs, but if wrong will it not run or burn up?

#13 Ford yt12.5 OFFLINE  

Ford yt12.5
  • Member No: 76938
  • 4 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 02:32 PM

For the absolute in hour meter accuracy ( Oh, those hours aren't right. I left the key on a few times. ) try this. It also works on all engines with oil pressure. First tap into the ignition side of the ignition switch ( only hot with key in the "run" position ) Run this wire to one side of the hour meter ( "plus" or unmarked ) Next you will need a N.O. (normally open) 3 or 4 psi oil pressure switch. These are available at auto and marine stores. Cost about $5-$7. Find an available oil pressure port on your engine. These are sometimes on the block or you can "T" off the oil pressure switch. Yes, you will require a few brass reducers or adapters depending on your configuration. Then run a ground wire from the remaining terminal on the hour meter to the terminal on the switch. Principle; when ign. switch is "on" meter doesn't run because there is no ground. When the engine starts, oil pressure builds and closes the switch thus completing a ground thru the engine block. Hence the brass connectors. The meter now records time only with the engine running. Can't get more accurate than that.

• olcowhand, 1964Deere, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#14 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 05:06 PM

Ford yt12.5, on 30 Oct 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

For the absolute in hour meter accuracy ( Oh, those hours aren't right. I left the key on a few times. ) try this. It also works on all engines with oil pressure. First tap into the ignition side of the ignition switch ( only hot with key in the "run" position ) Run this wire to one side of the hour meter ( "plus" or unmarked ) Next you will need a N.O. (normally open) 3 or 4 psi oil pressure switch. These are available at auto and marine stores. Cost about $5-$7. Find an available oil pressure port on your engine. These are sometimes on the block or you can "T" off the oil pressure switch. Yes, you will require a few brass reducers or adapters depending on your configuration. Then run a ground wire from the remaining terminal on the hour meter to the terminal on the switch. Principle; when ign. switch is "on" meter doesn't run because there is no ground. When the engine starts, oil pressure builds and closes the switch thus completing a ground thru the engine block. Hence the brass connectors. The meter now records time only with the engine running. Can't get more accurate than that.

That's awesome, thanks

#15 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 360 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 08:49 PM

Since the Kohler use in our tractor do not have oil pressure the oil pressure switch will not work. I just got 2 new hour meters for my tractors & am working on an idea that may work for motors with out oil pressure. As soon as I have tested this idea I will share it here.

Charlie