DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 09:18 PM

Thinking about getting one of these little pu trucks, thought I'd try to find a used, rust free one, interested in a, regular cab, long box 7ft, 4cyl, 5sp.

What do you guys think?
Anybody got one of these, how do you like it?

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:43 AM

Doug , we have Rangers at work and seem Ok but a few things to checked underneath . The frames rusted out a a lot ,front upper control arm mounts , spring hangers too and some spots your going to have to get underneath to fine , I had one that the frame didn't look rusting at all but noticed a funny line on the outside RH frame rail turned out it was rusted through from the inside and when I looked between the exhaust and inside rail it was VERY bad . about 2" x9" hole !!! If I can fine them I'll post a pic of the mess , Al

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:47 AM

I have had a few of them over the years. Yes the rear frame rails do like to rust.They don't have a lot of room in the regular cabs.All in all though,if you get one that is in good condition,they are not a bad little truck.

#4 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:50 AM

I bought an old ranger about a year and a half ago. I bought it for my wife as a barn (beater) truck. It's a 1990 4.0 6 cyl. automatic. She has put, about 30k on it so far with no issues. Great little truck, that 4.0 is bomb proof. We did look at a few others and rust was an issue on a bunch, but just about any 20 year old vehicle could have rust issues....

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:53 AM

What i have heard is that they are a good basic truck and overall are a good choice as far as reliability and value goes. If you live in a rust belt area like I do then I would look for one that was undercoated or treated with rust check. It seems like rust is a big problem.

#6 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 07:38 AM

Those Rangers are truely built FORD TOUGH!Thats the only pickup I've ever owned, and never likly change.IMO I would opt for the 4.0 liter.Had a 2.3L. once and swore never again and same with the 3.0L they are worse than the 4 cylinder.Thats just my 2 cents.

#7 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 07:58 AM

I imagine you are thinking about the gas savings.......Might save you some, but they are still a light duty truck and not nearly as capable of hauling heavy stuff as a larger one.....

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,921 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 09:30 AM

I'm with poncho, I've had compact and full size pickups and the compacts never get near the fuel economy advertised. you might save 4 MPG's over a fullsize, but if you are going to pull a trailer or actually haul stuff go full size. Even if only once in a while. Usta work with a guy that drove a Dodge Ramcharger that got 6mpg. He couldfn't handle that so he traded for an S-10 Blazer and got 15MPG - thought he was doing good - then I told him my GMC Suburban SLE got 16! Kinda broke his bubble.
Many years ago I drove a Chevy LUV. It got 23-24 MPG but I'm a big-ole-boy - didn't fit the cab - and it wouldn't pull my boat. I did haul 1.38 ton of gravel on the LUV one time but I'm only three miles from the quarry. That was not a fun trip! The only compact I'd like to have back is a Dodge Rampage car based pickup. it got 32 MPG and one time I had two Cub Cadet Originals in the back. The rear bumper was draggin the gravel out of the middle of the county roads but otherwise handled it well. It also had tons of room in the cab.

#9 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for the response guys, that's what I wanted to hear your opinions good or bad.
Right now I drive a 94 Suzuki Sidekick, 2dr, great on gas, never get stuck, but can't carry or tow very much.
I also have a 86 Ford 1ton Diesel dually dump, to much truck for what I need.
I miss the 1/2 ton full size pu I had, just thought I'd get another smaller more fuel efficient one, something that can carry 1000lbs, good enough for me.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 09:47 AM

Doug found the pic of the RH upper control arm mount , it was covered in dirt and was hard to see , I was doing other work on it and cleaned off the dirt and here's I found ! That was on a 2000 Ranger 2x4 a few years ago with about 100k miles , the other side was clean and not rusty !ranger control arm mt.jpg

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 10:31 AM

Do what I did,I wanted fuel economy,and pulling power,so I went out and bought an F-250 4x4 with diesel engine.Even with a truck of that size,I am getting about 20 mpg.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 11:13 AM

Moms f150 gets 17 as a daily driver, probably 14 with the trailer. It has quite a bit of power, but she got the quad cab with the 6 foot bed. Bed always seems to be too small, but the cab is HUGE. I like leg room, and have no problems riding in the back on trips.

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 05:25 PM

I just got a 2004 Ford F150 reg cab longbed with 4.6L V8, automatic transmission, and 4x4. In West Virginia and PA driving through rain, shine, and construction I averaged about 17.5 MPG (I am a slight leadfoot too :D )
I used to drive a 1996 Toyota T100 extended cab shortbed with 3.4L V6, automatic transmission, and 4x4 with 200K miles on it that I could get upwards of 22 mpg in the same driving conditions. After it was totaled I got another with issues and only got 14 mpg (it had over 300K on it).
I don't drive as much as or as far as I used to so 17 mpgs is fine by me.

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 07:27 AM

Here's the other pic's of 0623101312.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 0630101415.jpg

Edited by Alc, August 22, 2011 - 07:28 AM.
spelling

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 09:47 AM

I purchased a 97 F-150 for a "fetchit" truck. It has the 4.2 V-6 and 5spd. Get 20 mpg. or better on the hiway and for some reason I just like driving it. Large cab and rides good. I also enjoy driving a stick sometimes. They are prone to rear end noise and I just put new bearings and seals in mine this week. Mine came with the limited slip rear end which does help as it's 2 wheel drive.
Good luck with your purchase.