Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 12:36 PM

I took all the advice from this [ast week and here is my update

The brakes are adjusted and there is no binding anywhere

I have just changed the fluids and filter and I still have the following problem.

Depressing the left pedal will stop the wheels from turning, but it does not return the rt pedal to a nuetral position, nor will depressing the left pedal allow the differential to be shifted into hi or low without gear clashing.

Here is what I am doing to get it started, with the engine off I am shifting to lo, then depressing the left pedal and turning the key on and using my rt foot to find nuetral so the engone turns over easily. once started i can go forward or backwards but the rt pedal when released does not find a nuetral on its own nor will depressing the lft pedal make the rt one go to nuetral

I am open to ideas and if someone wishes to call and offer ideas I am open to calls today

816 217 6151

Thanks

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 01:26 PM

Sounds like the linkage is buggered up some where. The link is rather Rube Goldergish and overly complicated IMO. If you can find neutral with the hydro pedal then you should be able to shift from Hi to lo without gear grinding. Just find nuetral and shift. I cant say that either of my tractors finds nuetral on their own.

Does the brake pedal move the hydro pedal at all?

Have you looked at the manuals to see how to adjust the linkages?

#3 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 09:28 PM

well it has taken all day but I have found the problem.

The rt pedal linkage goes into the hydro and somewhere in there it is connected to the linkage shaft from the left pedal. I went out to my jusnk pile and played with an old 1650 i have for parts and dreams of one day being a hot rod and found that when the rt pedal is pushed forward and then you step on the left pedal the rt pedal returns back to nuetral and the shafts on each side of the hydro move when a pedal is pressed. So voila I have concluded i have an internal problem in the htdo of the 1855

Solution-> I pulled the hyro [pump from the 1650 and inserted it into the 1855 and in the morning with fresh oil we will see if life is better

More to follow

By the way, where do I find someone to overhaul a hydo pump?

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 08:27 AM

It could be that the internal swash plate/stub shaft pin on the control arm side has been sheared, and the pin is just snug enough in the swash plate to still cause some control of movement, but never returns to the same place. Not sure what would have cause it to shear, or it could have backed out.

#5 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:23 PM

OLCOWHAND, I think you have hit it on the head. Today with fresh fluids it operated just like I had expected and just like each of you said it would.

Thanks for the possible solutions.

Now the questions is do I tear it down rebuild it and learn more or leave that to others.

I really think if I can find a parts supplier I will try it on my own.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:29 PM

If it's just the roll pin, then all you will need is gaskets & some o-rings. I cut my own gaskets from bulk rolls, and you can go to a hydraulic supply & match up new o-rings. The roll pin is nothing special & easily found at many places, but be sure it's high quality & not a soft pin.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 07:28 AM

Glad to hear its moving correctly now, good luck on the rebuild!