• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dannnnn OFFLINE  

Dannnnn

• Member No: 5538
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 02:42 AM

Does anyone know if it's normal to have air bubbles forming near fuel filter on an older Briggs & Stratton? I just rebuilt the engine & carb. I've adjusted the carb the best I can and still isn't running perfectly smooth. I would think if there are air bubbles forming gas would be leaking out in that area.
Any ideas? Thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 05:58 AM

You don't say if this engine is on a tractor or not. The thing to remember with fuel inlet lines is that until the gas hits the fuel pump there can be a vacuum on the line. If there is a leak under vacuum it can pull air into the line, creating bubbles. I would check for free flow of fuel from the tank to the carb or fuel pump. Check and clean filters and screens. Also, make sure you have air tight connections and plenty of fuel in the tank. If the engine vibrates a lot and fuel level is low it can aerate the fuel. The air can then form bubbles in the lines.

#3 Dannnnn OFFLINE  

Dannnnn

• Member No: 5538
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 02:15 PM

This engine is on a JD 68 rear engine rider with 8hp Briggs and Stratton. The carb is gravity feed with no fuel pump. Thanks.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,444 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 08:21 AM

I thought JDBrian's gave you good advice even if it's gravity feed . Wonder if the cap vent isn't opened all the way or enough ?