• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 09:05 AM

After working another 14hr day at a customers plant thats broke down, I got home to eat a late dinner and spend a little time with my girls before dying in the bed. Our dog started to raise cain wanting outside, he normally does this because a raccoon is around the house. I let him outside and watched him run his lap around the perimeter of our place. All of a sudden, he was back at the open back door where I was standing, and didn't even slow down, but ran into the house. As he went by me, I noticed that smell. I yelled into the house for him to come back outside. He was in the house for lees then 20 seconds, but that was too long. I tied him up to the fence and my wife and I started gathering up our freshly canned tomato juice, opened the doors on the house and I started giving the dog a tomato juice bath. After 14 quarts of juice, he still stinks, my hands stink and the house stinks. I don't know how the wife is doing this morning, but I was very happy to get up a 5:30 and go back the the breakdown, even if it is 115F in that plant. We are going to try another solution on him this evening. Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish washing detergent. I hope it works....:confuse:

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hi Brian that sure is a unpleasant smell for sure.Our dog got sprayed last year and she spent the night outside as well.After giving her numerous baths etc: with dish soap and the smell still lingering I went to our local Vet and picked up a product called Skunk Off.You can get either the shampoo or spray.I did both after shampooing and washing then drying I applied the liquid and worked it into her fur.Needless to say she was able to come back into the house.The other thing is when she got wet I could smell skunk but only if I really tried.So this might be worth looking into. Good luck. Larry
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 09:42 AM

After working another 14hr day at a customers plant thats broke down, I got home to eat a late dinner and spend a little time with my girls before dying in the bed. Our dog started to raise cain wanting outside, he normally does this because a raccoon is around the house. I let him outside and watched him run his lap around the perimeter of our place. All of a sudden, he was back at the open back door where I was standing, and didn't even slow down, but ran into the house. As he went by me, I noticed that smell. I yelled into the house for him to come back outside. He was in the house for lees then 20 seconds, but that was too long. I tied him up to the fence and my wife and I started gathering up our freshly canned tomato juice, opened the doors on the house and I started giving the dog a tomato juice bath. After 14 quarts of juice, he still stinks, my hands stink and the house stinks. I don't know how the wife is doing this morning, but I was very happy to get up a 5:30 and go back the the breakdown, even if it is 115F in that plant. We are going to try another solution on him this evening. Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish washing detergent. I hope it works....:confuse:

That's rough Brian! I don't think any of the remedies really take the smell completely away. If you call a Vet they may be able to give you some advice. With some breeds you can clip them close and get rid of most of the hair.
We don't have skunks yet at our place but 100miles away at my dads place they are a big problem. They had a nest of them under the front step. Not fun at all!

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 10:49 AM

Not a pleasant situation to say the least.
Stinky dog is one thing, but what you and family have to go through, with a smelly
house, and the heat on top of it, is awefull.
Hope you get it cleaned up soon.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 10:54 AM

Sorry to hear it Brian, hope the offending odor goes away soon. The dogs used to get it once in a while when I was little, but the were outside dogs anyways. My wife hit one with her van and it STILL smells once in a while when it's wet & hot out. That was last summer.

#6 Gene@gearworksmfg OFFLINE  

Gene@gearworksmfg

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 53
  • 2 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 10:57 AM

Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish washing detergent. I hope it works....:confuse:

This method works the best. Just use caution around the eyes. The dish soap will strip the skunk's oils from the fur (as well as the natural dog oil) follow up with conditioner to replace the oil. Don't forget that the peroxide will react with your skin, so use some gloves One thing that I've always wanted to try was a castor oil/olive oil mix to see if that would help on human skin, but I don't think I want to actually get sprayed just to experiment. The tomato juice method is just a cover up of the smell.

I've been skunked many times before when I used to walk my dogs at 4am before work. The oddest thing is calling into work and using it as an excuse.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,642 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 11:04 AM

Been there, done that I'm afraid Brian! Man do skunks have some stink power! When we cut the hay field the other day, Dad finished what I left uncut the previous evening. I was milking the cows, with the parlor being 1/4 mile from where Dad mowed up a skunk. The wind brought it & filled the milk parlor with that incredibly powerful aroma. I had to walk outside for a few minutes for the fans to clear it out some. The milk tank room still smelled of it 2 to 3 hours later.

#8 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 11:31 AM

Oh Man Brian. Sorry to hear that. I have never got it myself but just getting close to a dead one is enough for me. Can not imagine what it would be like if you can not get away from the smell.

#9 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 01:15 PM

Sorry to hear that Brian, we have a couple around here and smell them every few days. So far the dog hasn't gotten too close to one. Good luck on getting the smell out.

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Guys...

#11 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 10:41 PM

Don't know any QUICK ways to get rid of it except time. One odor I can live without and we have them here.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,642 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 06:53 AM

How's things smell this morning Brian? Sure hope it's gone soon. That is one smell that makes me nauseous!

#13 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 10:27 AM

This morning about 2:30 the dog wanted out to go to the bathroom. So I let her out and sat on the couch waiting for her scratch on the door. After about sever or eight minutes I smelled a skunk which isn't unusual. Then she scratched on the door and when I let her in she ran to the rug and started to wipe her face on the rug. Then I smelled it!!!!! She ran to the other rug and started to wipe her face there. I took her to the kitchen and washed her face but that didn't help. Linda got up and we gave her a bath in our shower. That didn't do a lot of good so this morning we gave her a bath with baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and dish washing liquid. Still waiting for her to dry to see how that worked. Got one of the cats too, his name is Stinker so now he lives up to his name. Not going to give him a bath, that would be wild. Sprinkled rug stuff on and let it sit then vacuumed the rugs. Haven't sniffed them yet.

#14 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 10:54 AM

Brian - maybe you should have called a fire damage expert who could do this and taken your tomato juice with you. I love home made tomato juice !!!!

#15 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 11:00 AM

Most pet shops carry stuff to get rid of the smell. My cousin works at one, I'll see what she recommends.