• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sevalecan OFFLINE  

Sevalecan

• Member No: 813
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 09:44 PM

My parents own a Huskee Supreme GT that's maybe 5 or 6 years old. It's not been a bad tractor, but we've all noticed lately that it mows like crap.

You go along, and next think you know, there's two or three rows of grass sticking up where you just mowed. The blades are sharp (I check them regularly), they all spin fine. The automatic tensioner is working, the belt is good.. So, I'm not sure what else I can do to this thing to make it actually cut most of the grass you drive over.. I'd appreciate any ideas on this.

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 10:16 PM

Is there any slop in the deck linkage that would allow the deck to twist clockwise or ccw? If so, the blades may not have enough overlap. Even sloppy deck wheels can cause a twist that affects performance.
Another thing to check for is have you adjusted height or the caster wheels? The Huskee I had wanted to be way down to mow right. If you lifted the skirt much off the dirt, it didn't seem to lift the grass right and you had to slow down to do a decent job.

Couple of things to check anyways.

#3 Sevalecan OFFLINE  

Sevalecan

• 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 09:32 PM

Hm, I checked to see whether the deck had any slop, and it was pretty tight. I've not really adjusted the wheel height or anything since we got it. It never mowed poorly like this until fairly recently. I remember that part of the mowing blades has worn off entirely, on the side opposite the cutting edge, at the end, the blades were curved upwards (and now they aren't). I'm wondering if this is causing it not to suck the grass up into the blades to be cut.

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 09:39 PM

IMO you need new blades, without the curved upward part you won't get as good a cut and if there that worn the tips are most likely worn so the blade is shorter than a new one and that is why you get the rows of uncut grass.

#5 Sevalecan OFFLINE  

Sevalecan

• 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 03:37 PM

Of course, I'm leaning toward new blades as well. The interesting part is the blades themselves are not worn down very far. That is, I haven't begun grinding length off of the blades, not even close. But the part opposite the edge that sticks up and creates kind of a fan-blade shape is what's missing. apparently just from grass hitting it it wore completely out, long before the rest of the blade ever would. Perhaps I'll take some pictures when I go to change the blades.

[UPDATE]
I replaced the blades and it seems to be cutting a lot better, rather than leaving most of the covered grass uncut. Woohoo.

Edited by Sevalecan, September 12, 2011 - 07:01 PM.

#6 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 07:42 PM

If you have sandy soil the blades wear out quicker and glad to hear you got the problem solved.