• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:43 PM

about 2 weeks ago i got home from work to find my computer couldnt fire up the internet. tried all the usual things like rebooting to rolling back to a previous date,,, nothing worked. several hours later i got a phone call from a place calling themselves micro assist telling me my ip adress was being used for criminal activities. they were trying to set the hook. wasted about 45 minutes on the computer and phone and finally just hung up on the buggers when they tried selling me an online service plan that cost more than a new computer.the call was coming out of india,i recognise the accent. phone rang again within 2 seconds of me hanging up,,twice,,,faster than you can hit the numbers on the phone. using the line that my ip was being used for criminal activity did worry me a bit so i called my ip provider to check that out,they said no problem with my ip . the good news is no money was removed from my GT budget :bounce: . just thought i would pass that one along.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, tractorgarden and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:48 PM

Just curious how you resolved the problem of not being able to get online. Did you refresh your IP address? Was it that company that was blocking your access? If so, that sounds like criminal activity to me!

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:57 PM

It's just going to get worse too. The people like this are finding out we are getting wise to the old ploys and have to become more brazen. Wish they'd get another vocation.

Thanks very much for the heads up.
  • ncb said thank you

#4 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 09:18 PM

Just curious how you resolved the problem of not being able to get online. Did you refresh your IP address? Was it that company that was blocking your access? If so, that sounds like criminal activity to me!

your guess is as good as mine .after booting up the next day everything was fine . renewing ip address was one of the things i did before he even called

#5 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 09:46 PM

Not being very computer savvy, this type of thing always worries me. Why can't people get off of their lazy butts and get a real job instead of stealing from honest hard working folks. There are times that I am almost ready to get off the internet before I get ripped off, but then I would miss the fine members on this site.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 04:38 AM

I got a scam phone call yesterday,saying they were from a computer "something",I can't remember what the rest of it was. They said that they had detected that my computer had picked up a virus and was running slow,and also sending out some sort of messages.They wanted me to turn my computer on,and give them my password,so they could go in and "fix" the problem.This was a guy with a very strong India type accent.He kept saying it was my "windows computer",and I told him I wasn't running windows.He started to get kind of mad when I wouldn't do it,so I told him to go f*** him self and hung up. This phone number was 510-943-3040,and when I googled it,it said it was a non-existent number.If anyone else gets a call from this number,don't answer it.
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 02:42 PM

:beerchug: thanks maynard . like mh81 said it looks like they will try new angles to catch some new fish. Unfortunately there are enough suckers to keep the scams worthwhile . looking a lot more prevalent than i thought , glad i started this thread .

#8 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 11:45 AM

I had the same yesterday, the phone rang and a guy calling himself "David Watson" but sounding as though he was ringing from Calcutta told me my computer was having problems, was I aware of it? I couldn't be bothered to waste time listening to the sales pitch that was sure to come next, and just hung up, but this is clearly a scam that is doing the rounds at the moment. It seems to be more in Canada? Anyway, it's great that a forum like this can alert you to the latest scams.

George.

#9 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 02:12 AM

I get calls from a company telling me my septic tank needs cleaning sometimes,selling some miracle product or the other.I tell them I don't have a septic tank just head to the woods if its good eough for the bears its good enough for me,they hang up.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 09:10 AM

..if its good eough for the bears its good enough for me,they hang up.

:bigrofl:

I had to add this... Gary, with all the calls you get on this topic, does that mean you're on a "S"-list? :laughingteeth:

#11 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 02:58 PM

got 1 more call. this time a womans voice and i could hardly understand every second word , no numbers at all were showing up on the call display. i did understand when she mentioned my [two] computers , the second computer has been unplugged completely from the wires since the first call. only cost me about 12 seconds this time till i hit the off button,they are persistent. At least the first call had entertainment value cause the guy sounded just like the phone plan salesman from the first transformers movie. Thanks for your response MJODREY , i had the sense to look at the phone screen.

#12 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 01:17 PM

i work in the I.T. filed, my users complain about this all the time.

We used to have an engineer from india in out office, he told me some crazy stories about india.

people will work for virtually nothing theree, the poverty is pretty bad.

he said when he moved here is was an adjustment to physical labour around the house, over there you just hire it out, cause its so cheap.

Chine and India social issues scare me,

so when you wonder why thier trying to read that script its probably cause thier making more money at the call centre.
  • ncb said thank you

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 05:06 AM

Got another scam call today. This one was supposedly from Microsoft,and they "help" me with my computer. Here is that number,207-493-2008,don't answer it.
  • ncb and HDWildBill have said thanks

#14 s41793 OFFLINE  

s41793

• Member No: 7320
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 01:57 PM

I ended up getting a call a couple weeks ago. I didn't even pick up because the caller id said "Phone Scam".

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 07:33 PM

I worked in the IT field for over 20 years and I still help folks around here and like Jehtro you hear this stuff a lot and yes people still fall for it. I had a call not to long ago from a woman claiming to know my daughter saying she needed $10,000 to get her out of jail. I asked her which daughter and well you guessed it! click!