• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 09:38 PM

What all was in the rebuild kit? Did it come with a new float? If not, you may have a bad one. I suppose you could even have a bad new one. Assuming correct adjustment and the valve seat is working correctly.

#17 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 12:05 AM

For all I know it is the needle valve assembly. The kit had a float needle, a replacement rubber seat that had to be inserted into the existing assembly, and a retaining ring. Also, the gaskets and a new idle screw and a main jet needle. As to the float, I shook it and heard nothing sloshing in it so That should be ok. There was also a small spring that wraps around the axle pin for the float, but I can't figure how to get it back on----Plus I've never seen anything like that before.

#18 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 05:41 AM

For all I know it is the needle valve assembly. The kit had a float needle, a replacement rubber seat that had to be inserted into the existing assembly, and a retaining ring. Also, the gaskets and a new idle screw and a main jet needle. As to the float, I shook it and heard nothing sloshing in it so That should be ok. There was also a small spring that wraps around the axle pin for the float, but I can't figure how to get it back on----Plus I've never seen anything like that before.

The rubber seat has to be installed with the groove in it away from the needle. Use a drill bit(blunt end) of the right size, to push that seat ALL the way in.
I don't think you need the retaining ring. That may be the culprid. Same with that axle spring.
If your old main jet needle looks ok use it. Compare the old to new. If you got one of those after market offshore kits, you'll see the difference in the needles.
Also, make sure that the little spring clip that positions the needle on the float tab, is nice and loose on that tab. If it binds at all, it will cause the
needle to land on the flat surface of that rubber seat, causeing the over filling issue.
I pulled my hair out this spring with 3 carbs having the same issue. Finally stopped the leaking The above notes stuck in my mind.
  • MH81, JDBrian and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#19 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 11:36 AM

The spring wrapped around the axle pin has to go back with both ends pointing towadrs the choke end of the carb. There are good instructions on how to put the whole thing back together in the red Tecumseh Service Manual that you can download from the GTtalk Manuals section.

George.
carb.JPG
  • MH81, IamSherwood and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#20 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 08:53 PM

OK, sorry for a lack of pictures here, but when I get into this thing my fingers are filthy and I don't want to dirty up my camera. As for the carb, I've worked on the rubber seat some more. What happens is that everything seems ok for 10 minutes or so after I shut the engine down, then the gas starts dripping out of the carb throat. I'm suspecting that the new rubber isn't quite sealing the tank end of the carburetor and is passing gas. It isn't bad enough to choke the engine with it running, but I have to make sure I shut the gas off.

I had time and energy to tackle the transmission issue today. Two O-rings that seal the forward/reverse shaft were leaking and needed replacing. I was able to find replacements at my local hardware store. However, now the shift lever is a bit stiff. There is really a lot of wear on the cam and on the cam shift assembly, maybe I can replace them. Drove it around today after reassembling, it is a bit of a challenge to get the transmission exactly in neutral. It did tool around very nicely, going up and down hills at a fairly steady pace. I drove over the curb at a nice slow pace and the tractor just slowly climbs over the curb. I also stopped the tractor at the base of a small incline on my property and rammed the shift lever forward. The front wheels popped off the ground a bit and the tractor just scooted forward. Now with the major systems working I can move on the replacing all the damaged wiring and the ignition switch.