tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 10:30 AM

I have seen a few tractors that have been just repainted with minimum disassembly.
I was wondering how you were able to clean the parts well enough to paint over?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 10:34 AM

First as you know as good a cleaning as possible, then degreasing with a good degreaser. Then use a pre-clean product from a paint supplier. I still have a tiny bit left of "Pre-Kleeno" I bought long ago at an automotive paint shop. I don't think it's made today, but plenty others are available. It does a good job of removing any trace oils/greases.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 11:41 AM

First as you know as good a cleaning as possible, then degreasing with a good degreaser. Then use a pre-clean product from a paint supplier. I still have a tiny bit left of "Pre-Kleeno" I bought long ago at an automotive paint shop. I don't think it's made today, but plenty others are available. It does a good job of removing any trace oils/greases.

Yes,I agree.

"Pre Kleeno" ,boy I haven't used that particular one in a long time.That was R-M wasn't it?

I am using DuPont Wash and Wipe now,but they're all about the same.

#4 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 12:08 PM

Yes,I agree.

"Pre Kleeno" ,boy I haven't used that particular one in a long time.That was R-M wasn't it?

I am using DuPont Wash and Wipe now,but they're all about the same.

This will only be available at an automotive paint supply store?

#5 Gene@gearworksmfg OFFLINE  

Gene@gearworksmfg

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 53
  • 2 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 12:56 PM

Most chain auto supply stores like Autozone will carry a wax/grease remover. They're not as powerful but should do the job.

#6 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Man, my heart will be broke if they don't make pre-kleeno any more. Yes it is an R-M product, #900. Probably HAD to quit making it because it actually worked. Guess I better hoard what I have left.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 03:08 PM

Even Napa carries a pre painting cleaner/degreaser. If it is bare metal, I have had good luck with acetone but it evaporates really fast.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 03:54 PM

This will only be available at an automotive paint supply store?

The NAPA store near me carries the DuPont line of automotive paints.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 04:03 PM

Likely my supplier just quit handling & was easier for him to tell me it wasn't available any longer. It's still around, but whoo....HIGH these days. $50/gallon!
Diamont 900 Pre-Kleano, Gallon - The Painter's Edge

It's ok Billygoat....you can still buy more!

#10 Spartan OFFLINE  

Spartan

• Member No: 3450
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 04:10 PM

I cringe when I see a tractor repainted without disassembly. My first impression is what are they trying to hide. I wonder how much other maintenance was done haphazard. The real answer is that to do a good job you cannot take shortcuts.

#11 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4710
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 10:52 PM

I'd think it would depend on the tractor and area the tractor is from. When you live in a semi arid climate you get very little rust unless it was in the dirt. Decks don't even rust too bad so most of the repainting you need to do is from the sun, so your hoods and fenders look the worst. Same with vehicles the hood and top of my 96 chevy is fading, but from the door handle down looks damn near new. My '74 F250 has never been in a garage and it's got very little rust. You'll see some 50 model cars that have lot's for rust if they've sat out in fields with rotted tires.

So most of the tractors I see don't need to hae the frames or undercarriage painted. I wouldn't call it a restore though if I just pull the fenders and hood and paint them.

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 05:35 PM

Guys, I know you may not believe me on this, but it never left me down. I spray bug and tar remover on the greasy parts, then hit it with a high pressure washer. It gets all of the grease off, at least down to the painted areas. After I have all of the greasy areas removed, I simply add Dawn Dishwashing liquid to the high pressure washer, hit the frame or undercarridge, rinse with clean water, let dry, and she's ready for paint. A bottle of bug and tar remover is around $4-5 dollars a bottle, and the Dawn is somewhere around $2-3 dollars a bottle. I never had any problems with paint peeling or not sticking. I've been using this method for about 4 years now, and I never had a tractors owner come back to me disappointed.

On another note, if you need to remove paint, I use Easy-Off oven cleaner. Spray it on, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, and rinse it off with a high pressure washer. After the parts are rinsed, use the Dawn Dishwashing Liquid method above. One recommendation though, don't let the stripped parts air dry. I blow them dry with the air compressor.

Try it and let me know how it works out for you.
  • tweidman, mikebramel and trekrider60 have said thanks

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:23 PM

Just be careful with oven cleaner around any aluminum parts to be left a natural aluminum finish. The oven cleaner darkens & stains aluminum if left on any time at all.
  • JDBrian and johndeereelfman have said thanks