• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:10 AM

Our plans have all went askew. After 3 weeks of dusty dry, it chose to rain this morning. It won't stop chopping corn today, but we needed to get the hay on the pile first, then top with corn. At this point, once we put much more corn, there won't be room for the hay plus a corn layer topper. Looks like we'll have to put they hay in the empty small pit by itself once it dries enough to chop. More trouble, but not that big a deal.

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 04:10 PM

Man is this taller pit gonna pack the silage in! I'm just about staying at the same level, even to ground, for the last half of the afternoon. It just keeps on packing. Looking like 2 more days to crown it off. The hay got a big rain storm this morning, so it's going to go into the smaller pit now for sure. Hoping to chop the hay tomorrow, then come back & finish the corn silage pit. Won't finish till Monday or Tuesday....likely Tuesday. Have an auction we need to attend Saturday, and Sunday is a day of rest other than milking, and it's my day to milk.

#18 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:42 PM

They just started chopping across the road from me today. Looks to have that 40 acres knocked out tonite. No rain yet but its coming,, maybe. I can see the hyway again and am not surrounded by corn any more.

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:56 PM

More rain headed my way. Hope it breaks up. Weird my saying that as dry as it's been, but if that hay stays down wet too long, it'll start to rot!

#20 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:33 PM

That sounds so funny, as silage it sort of rots anyway.

#21 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:52 PM

Doesn't it just figure...you go all that time without any rain...and then at exactly the most inopportune time...! Hope that this situation turns around for you really soon Dan

#22 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 09:35 PM

I know that you have been down this road before Daniel. When you need rain, it's dry, and when you need dry weather, the rain comes. You certainly know that we are all pulling for you to have a successful harvest. Sure am glad to hear that Dad and the wagon are OK. Hopefully he is already back in the tractor seat and ready to go. Please keep us updated.

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 03:59 AM

Doesn't it just figure...you go all that time without any rain...and then at exactly the most inopportune time...! Hope that this situation turns around for you really soon Dan

I agree with this! Hope you can get it all chopped soon. Good Luck!

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 08:05 AM

gonna try the hay in a few minutes. Cross your fingers for me! I've been feeling rough the last few days, but chalked it up to work & heat. Running around 110+ in the loader, even with a radiator fan mounted in the window. BUT, I found it's something else making me feel run down. The last few nights when I shower, when I washed my hair it was filthy. Being it's been so dusty, I simply thought dust. Last night it was worse! Water was black when I rinsed my hair, and there was NO dust after the rains yesterday. The loader's exhaust has been leaking under the hood. Not enough to visually see, but after a few hours of it, I was taking in a lot of exhaust. That explains my headache yesterday! Looks like the loader's exhaust gets a make-over. The muffler is under the hood, and is needing replaced. I won't ru n the fan today, plus I won't be in the loader for long periods. We did what we could to patch it this morning, but it'll need FIXED soon. The air filter intake is also under the hood, and the filter was crammed solid with soot. Big balls of soot rolled out when we pulled the element.

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 08:07 AM

Well, the rain could have held off a couple days, but I'm not truly complaining of the rain. It always seems to work that way anyway. I much more worry about dry than wet, but thwen this soggy past spring had me worried a LOT too! Mother Nature is one sneaky lady!

#26 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 09:56 AM

I just came across this thread. Farming is hard, hard work and this thread reminds me of that, and of the hazards involved. It's a good thing you realized the exhaust leak. That could have continued to wear you down big time. Thanks for documenting the silage process. It is something I knew nothing about and is very interesting.

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 10:45 AM

Well, we beat our heads against a wall this morning & finally gave up on making haylage. Due to the weather extremes this year, Crab Grass infested our alfalfa, along with Johnson Grass. The JG doesn't give a problem, but the CG likes to "rope" and wraps around the feed rollers of the chopper until it shears bolts. So we stopped with the hay & are switching back to chopping corn. I put the tedder on the MF1100 & busted up the hay windrows so it can dry & be rolled. If it rains now, the hay won't be ruined. If left wet in the windrow, it would have started rotting by afternoon & becoming a slimy mess. Sorry I have no pics, but it's been a trying day. The hay field after being teddered looks great! Looks like it was cut & laid that way.

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 04:21 AM

Glad you found the exhaust leak. Lots of challenges going on your way. Good luck with it all.

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 03:33 PM

Finished filling this one pit today. Rolling hay tomorrow, then starting on the other large pit to fill with corn silage Wednesday. It's at least 25% full already.

#30 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 02:59 PM

This year's silage season is now officially OVER! Finished around 2pm, and all is covered in plastic. It's a good feeling. Now on to a kajillion little things that have piled up lately. But at least I'll be switching things to do almost every day or so for a while now. Corn grain won't be for over a month, maybe two.