#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 05:45 AM

this was on My Tractor Forum, not a bad idear to use electric motor run off the battery,

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC07362.jpg
  • DSC07372.jpg
  • DSC07369.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 06:45 AM

Dave don't laugh , I only planted 14lb of seed potatoes . It's more fun to spend more time and money building something to use behind a GT then just spend the maybe 45 min. to do by hand . :smile1: :smile1:  trowel that's a good idea of using a 12v motor to shake it , do you think it was some kind of cam to move the screen ? Wonder how many amps the motor draws ? You might have to take some breaks when using a 12v motor for the battery to recharge , I wouldn't want to chance ruining the s/g on the tractor . Does anyone know how many amps a Delco s/g puts out ?

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:14 AM

Probably 10 or less.

You possibly wouldn't have to attach it to the frame with a cam. An out of balance weight on the motor would shake the whole thing pretty well.

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 06:14 PM

MH81 is right,
in my previous post i mentioned using the shaker lever/rod from a broken plate compator if you wanted something already made, i have see one modified upside down at a downward angle with holes drilled in it as a riddle table for stones of a certain size depending on the size of the holes, i have thought of that for many different applications.
i think more in a mechanical sense regarding the electric motor, deriving power from the engine itself via chain/belts/axles but a way around the battery problem might be to mount a chevy alternator off the engine's PTO and use it to charge a deep cycle trawling battery mounted on the frount of the tractor or on the patato digger itself,
just a thought or two, there is a way around everything, it just needs to be found,

#20 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:44 PM

The first thing that came into my head was some sort of trailing wheel that would engage the ground and drive either a cam or an offset crank to do the shaking. No dead batteries to worry about then.
  • ENafziger said thank you

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 06:02 AM

like a horse drawn digger, simple hitch and go, good idear,
one cleated drive wheel, think in terms of a 3-point hitch type seeder with the single drive wheel in frount of the shovel, or a 2 wheel tow type,
single cleated drive wheel could power the shaker or could power a roller conveyor or vice versa,

#22 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 06:18 AM

conveyor type,

Attached Thumbnails

• single-row-potato-harvester-with-walking-tractor-.jpg

#23 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 10:47 AM

The heck with 'taters, the work the nuts for pickin stones inn the garden , I'm with towel on this one, way more fun building it .:smile1:

#24 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 06:41 PM

heck yeh, get those rocks out of there, put a bar pan or crate on the back of the digger to catch the rocks,
hills for patatos, no problem, i almost built a scaled down version of this bed shaper for the back of a david bradley tractor with 2 disks bolted in frount of the shaper pan, i got the idear while watching market farmers use these shapers, i drew up plans over the winter and collected parts to make it, have yet to make it,
perfet for the ''tater digger'' and one row drill seeders,
make it the way you want it with parts already out there,

Attached Thumbnails

• wpix-bedshaper1921-d-250x250.jpg