• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 08:27 AM

84 tractor.jpg Today pic's are really more for the seeders, than the tractor. This is a model 84 David Bradley. I got this tractor at an auction of 100's of garden tractors in southern IL, when a guy i knew of sold his collection due to failing health. Its missing a lot of the important items like the reverser, slow speed, and orginal motor, but it had a good tag and the engine was a replacement briggs of the correct type. The 84 was a 1955 model using the new au85 continental 3 hp engine, thus it was called Super 3. It came out with cream colored wheeels and bronze paint, and 15" wheels. I used this tractor for a while mostly with a southern culivator that i had setup to be 54" wide to culivate an arce of tomatos. We where just playing around in the dirt one day when i took this picture of a DB rider and the 84 both pulling differnt, but the same type seeders, planting sweet corn. It now sits in the old grainary with a broken starting rope, and on the goning to fix it list.:confuse:

Attached Thumbnails

• 84 planting.jpg

• Gtractor and marcusqp18 have said thanks

#32 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 08:51 AM

ant & harrow.jpg Decided to post another DB tractor for today. This one is a model 99, built in 1956, was the first DB tractor to use an aluminum block Briggs engine, of 2 3/4 hp. It came out with a reverse ready pully, meaning you could buy the reverser parts and the pully for the gear case was already installed. If you ever had to work on a DB clutch you will understand why this was a huge deal. It also came with 15" wheels, two piece adjustable handle bars and a 3 groove pully so you could install a slow speed setup. We got it last fall when i sold off all my Standard Twins, and hooked it up this spring, to a long tongue roller, and harrow compactor, to level out the site of my old chicken house. This tractor is a super power in the DB line and was considered a "better" in Sear's good , better , best rating system. Thats my son Anthony playing in the dirt with the tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• working the ground.jpg

• Gtractor said thank you

#33 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 09:29 PM

This is a great thread, keep it going.
Steve

#34 Keith Willoughby OFFLINE  

Keith Willoughby

• Member No: 5591
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 11:41 PM

I am new to this forum, but I have been a fan of two wheeled tractors since the late 70s. I had a bolens 15f with a sickle bar mower, 8 in. plow, cultivator, disk. I grew about 80 percent of the food a family of 3 ate thru out the year on a 2 acre plot. But in 1983 I moved to Anchorage, Ak. and sold it all for next to nothing. Needless to say, I regretted the decision to sell the Bolens. Now because of life changes, I have moved back to Kansas and have become the proud owner of a Bolens Gardner. It has all the equipment except the disk, but has a spike tooth harrow. It is in need of a carburetor and air cleaner and I would like to find disk for it. Will post some pictures soon.
Keith Willoughby
willoug.kr@gmail.com

#35 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 03:59 AM

Keith,welcome to the forum,glad to have you with us.

#36 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 04:19 AM

Welcome, Keith. I'll be looking for the pics.
Ditto on Steve's post, keep them coming!

#37 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 06:09 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Keith , look forward to seeing your tractor here in this thread . This thread that Lauber1 started is one I look forward to reading each day . I really enjoy hearing how the 2 wheelers were used . I've never used one myself , maybe some day . Al

#38 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 06:25 AM

:welcome: to GTTalk and the lower 48, glad you found us. If you get a chance, post something in the member intro area, let the rest of the crew welcome you proper-like.

#39 PKS OFFLINE  

PKS

• Member No: 4962
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 07:27 AM

SGT2.jpg I am a new member of this site and I have enjoyed reading many of the posts and comments. What a great educational resource on vintage tractors. I cannot provide anything new to this thread as many of you may have already viewed this Springfield 2 Wheel Garden Tractor posted by "oldsoul". I purchased this machine this past Spring in MA along with a Tiger garden tractor. I was informed that it was sitting in a barn unused for over 20 years. Does anyone know if the colors are original? It runs and works great. I have not been able to find out what the model or year of manufacture. Is there a resource for verification? I was told it was a 1949-50 but I have not found any information as a confirmation. The numbers previously posted seem to be accurate. I am fascinated by these old two wheelers and the history behind them. Thanks for posting all the models and their respective history. Wish I had more to post but those two machines are the extent of my "collection".
  • Gtractor said thank you

#40 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 06:56 PM

PKS, man you just did add something new to this thread. I started this to get people to "be involved" in a hobby that a big part of my life and a lot of fun. Now dont feel bad because you only have a couple of things, i started out that way too...so did lots of guys and gals. I have a lot because i dont know when to say enough and always have room for just one more.

On your springfield ....i have the exact same tractor and attachments here sitting out in front of the garage. All of the tractor is about the same color as your handel bars are, and the wheels are a yellow just like the color of the small one for the vator. the attachments are that same green color. The important part of this is that its your tractor and you can paint it any color that pleases you. The next guy can do the same if he dont like it. I havent done any reseaching on mine yet but your dating seems to be fairly close to what i would have quessed it to.

#41 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 06:59 PM

Keith, i for one will be awaiting those pic's. Gardner are an awesome looking tractor. Kind of the 4x4 of two wheelers. Dont have one of those tractors here but maybe i can help you find a carb ,and im always on the look out for attachments.

#42 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 26, 2011 - 08:29 PM

62 & 110 vator.jpg today photo is of a model 62 DB and a 110 vator. I got this tractor down east of Salem IL. It was sold as a hoodless special, under Sears" good" classification. It never had a hood, nor handel grips, and the fuel tank was mounted on the engine and not on the tractor. its briggs engine put out 1 3/4 hp, of the model "6" type. It also used the older style spring clutch instead of the ball lock one. For some reason my tractor has a tiller engine on it instead of the correct by the number DB one. The only differnance is the model number ending with 022, instead of 024. Earlier models of this tractor used a round gas tank, side mounted to the engine.
The 110 cultivator is the last of 4 differnt models built. Instead of using the familar notch adjusting handel, it has a pr of cranks to raise/lower the unit. Dont remember where i got it, but it was rusted mess and the cranks took forever to get free'd up. Not easy to see in the picture sorry.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg

• Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks

#43 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 06:34 AM

PKS, that's a keeper for shure, very clean looking springfield and welcome to GT Talk.

#44 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 11:31 AM

069.jpg Todays toys are twins:.......One is a 12bb Bolens with a reel mower, and the other is a Wizard tractor, based on a 12bb Bolens. i dont remember the yrs and them right now, but the Wizard is a little newer than the Bolens. The Bolens came to us from MN with a front mounted sprayer unit, traveled in the back of a new Featherlite trailer to a dealer in Waterloo, Ia, and was brought down to me by a friend. (see how easy it is to get a tractor moved!) The Wizard came from the thumb of MI and my son and i drove a 16hr trip to bring it here. Both tractors run great, and are in thier orginal clothes. The only repairs i have done is to replace the Wizard's fuel tank as it was the wrong one when i got it and replace the idler pulley with one from another 12bb. Just this yr on another site i got copies of the Wizards manauls, sent to me. Its really great when you can find info on what the rest of a line looked like. Right now both these machines sit in the Grainary building, along with piles of other stuff i havent had time to do anything with. Ya i know its a lousy pic, but its the only one i have right now.
  • MH81 said thank you

#45 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:29 PM

:smile1:yeh, i got a few of those ''haven't had time for'' myself, this upcoming weekand is the Three County Fair of northamption, Ma. and we are bring everything we have spent the past 5 months rebuilding to original, cleaning, priming and painting, all my stuff slowed down to one engine this summer, the 2a016-3, pictures will be provided of the set up,
the paint on the Planet Jr. is drying tonight, the last one on the list to do, finished right on time,