• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#256 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• Member No: 8472
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 05:30 PM

Howard that's a pretty good job on what looks like a first time garden !!! Bet if you plow it next time/year it won't be as bad . Thanks for the pictrues , Al

It has already been tilled up the beginning of last month with the 265 massey & tiller but it needed to be turned up again to loosen the grass roots for removal. I decided to try the Edko instead of putting the tiller back on the tractor. this will be the 3rd year for the garden. I plan on using the Edko for keeping up the garden when the tractor can't fit the rows. It will work great for between the row weed control & turning the dirt towards the rows.The last 2 gardens were maintained by hand.

Edited by howard H, March 07, 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#257 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:25 PM

That's great :thumbs: , thanks a bunch for the pic's, with the plow that hinges like that you can plow in a square like you did, walk behinds are very nimble in small gardens and you will appreciate it during cultivation season, it is hard work but leaves you satisfied.
Looks like you got it down to a T, when i used my Speedex i stood on the disk frame and rode it around.
Looks good in the dirt :smilewink:

Edited by trowel, March 07, 2012 - 07:27 PM.

• howard H said thank you

#258 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:19 PM

That's great :thumbs: , thanks a bunch for the pic's, with the plow that hinges like that you can plow in a square like you did, walk behinds are very nimble in small gardens and you will appreciate it during cultivation season, it is hard work but leaves you satisfied.
Looks like you got it down to a T, when i used my Speedex i stood on the disk frame and rode it around.
Looks good in the dirt :smilewink:

It was the first time I ever used one but I feel that I used it pretty well so far for a first timer. I know that with some more practice, I will find other ways to manipulate the tools.... I tried the stand on thing but the dirt was dug up around 10 inches deep with the turning plow so the dirt was pretty soft & the tires just spun. I am planning on cutting a 1/2 inch steel plate to fit the inner frame of the disc, should ad more weight to it without being too heavy to turn.... I am here in east Texas & we basically have sand & not good old black soil so busting it is easy, When it rains, the dirt is like quick sand but when parched dry, it is like cement...lol...The harrow will work great for in between the rows during growing season to turn the grass roots up without turning the dirt to powder. I do have my back up, a small gas powered cultivator for the tight spots..... I will be going tomorrow to pick up the John deer & another 600+ lbs of rabbit pooo for the garden. I will post pics soon of the John deer...

Edited by howard H, March 07, 2012 - 10:07 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#259 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 11:26 PM

Found some old pic's of my Speedex and Arines tiller, my little collection at my place in Ohio.

Attached Thumbnails

• P3070054.JPG
  • P3070055.JPG
  • P3070059.JPG
  • P3070061.JPG

Edited by trowel, March 07, 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#260 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Great pictures, thanks for posting them
  • trowel said thank you

#261 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 08:56 AM

Howard H,
You more then likely know this already,....if you grow hill crops then the disk can be spun inwards and used as a hiller, while the soil is soft now would be the time to lay in the rows, is your little cultivator by any chance a Mantis ?

#262 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Well guys, I finally got the old Edko walking tractor finished. Tons of rust & old paint removed & got the painting done a couple of days ago. It got stripped of every part, nuts & bolts & managed to build a bracket & bar for the harrow blade but still have to finish assembly. Not sure about the red wheels though, what do you think... red or black? I has to machine a new axle bushing as the original one was shot. Replaced a few bolts that had to be cut off etc but it came out great. I will be using the tractor here in a couple of weeks plowing the garden...

howard your edko looks fantastic, the red wheels look good too !! :thumbs:

#263 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Ha, ha, sounds like fun, wish you the best of luck on the JD, VRooom, Vroom,
Thoses mantis tillers are a nice machine, i laughed at them when they came out but now im thinking of getting one, heh, funny how it works out like that sometimes.

#264 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 10:35 AM

Ha, ha, sounds like fun, wish you the best of luck on the JD, VRooom, Vroom,
Thoses mantis tillers are a nice machine, i laughed at them when they came out but now im thinking of getting one, heh, funny how it works out like that sometimes.

I have had a mantis tiller once before after they came out. Had all the attachments to boot. Great little machine & did what it was suppose to do. Very expensive though when they first came out. Several knock offs out there now... I paid $200 for my Bolens last year. Problem with the bolens though is that you use to be able to adjust the air & gas flow mixtures... now they have a non serviceable carbs that once it is not running right, you have to take them in to get fixed... mine will not throttle up right but good thing I bought the warranty & will get it fixed or replaced... wish that these companies would make their stuff user serviceable for us do it yourselfer's.
  • trowel said thank you

#265 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 04:27 PM

C.A.R.B carb, A wast of everyone's money and time, EPA mandated emissions garbage, when the carb wears out and very quckly too ! leading to more emission and engine problems that only a new $ 120 to $200 carb will fix onto an engine that is already wearing out very quickly too, just another way of making money and shutting up the cry babies, soon you won't be able to buy adjustible carbs anymore.
That's a neat-o Deere you got there, lol, judging by the algae growth on the steering colunm it has sat a while for shure, lot of guys on this fourm are JD collectors and restorers, if you post pictures of the mower on the Deere thread a lot of guys would enjoy to see it.
All the little safety sensors are a pain, seat, clutch, mower deck, etc.... paper clip !! (or lenth of wire)

#266 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Ha, ha, Howard, sounds like you will blend right in, good jump with the JD, you save tons by being able to do it yourself and yeh, i understand the ignorant kids ordeal, seems kids these days are taught to be book smart not just smart in general much less how to work, i'll bet thet's the last time the old man lent it out to kids, lol, i know i would not !
Hopefully some of the guys might have a hood for you or know of were to find one.

P.S. Awesome..is..awesome !

#267 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 07:29 AM

Yep, i understand, parts have skyrocketed in price lately, use to be we could flip these for a few dollers with something of a profit, there will be people looking for parts, spring is around the corner.

#268 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 07:11 PM

Howard, that is true when money is tight or it is to sell. The JD model B's distributor cap, rotor and wires was very expensive but worth every penny for a well cared for 50 year old tractor.
Howard, this being primarily the 2 wheel GT thread im compelled to ask you to ask any questions or just to chat about JD LTs or any other GTs/LTs onto the riding mower threads, we try to keep the threads categorized for research and educational purposes.
Thanks, and i'll see you on the other side :smilewink:

#269 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Howard, that is true when money is tight or it is to sell. The JD model B's distributor cap, rotor and wires was very expensive but worth every penny for a well cared for 50 year old tractor.
Howard, this being primarily the 2 wheel GT thread im compelled to ask you to ask any questions or just to chat about JD LTs or any other GTs/LTs onto the riding mower threads, we try to keep the threads categorized for research and educational purposes.
Thanks, and i'll see you on the other side :smilewink:

I got the message earlier & pulled my jd stuff from this thread & moved it to the other threads, sorry bout that... newby screw up...lol... but good news, I am headed to a bone yard that I visited last year, this old man has tons of old tractors, 2 wheelers, mowers etc, hope to find another 2 wheeler project....I can't wait til Saturday....Cash in hand for the right 2 wheeler....
  • trowel said thank you

#270 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Don't worry to much about it, i did the same thing, did not know at first and posted in any thread, i still do it sometimes out of impulsiveness.
So, a boneyard for another 2 wheel GT, what a boatload of fun, i wish you the best of luck and happy hunting, any question regarding one, take a pic and start a new thread on the 2 wheel fourm.

Edited by trowel, March 13, 2012 - 09:32 PM.