• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#241 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• Member No: 8472
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 06:08 PM

Well guys, I finally got the old Edko walking tractor finished. Tons of rust & old paint removed & got the painting done a couple of days ago. It got stripped of every part, nuts & bolts & managed to build a bracket & bar for the harrow blade but still have to finish assembly. Not sure about the red wheels though, what do you think... red or black? I has to machine a new axle bushing as the original one was shot. Replaced a few bolts that had to be cut off etc but it came out great. I will be using the tractor here in a couple of weeks plowing the garden...GEDC0449.JPG GEDC0516.JPG

#242 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the update
The tractor looks alot better than before!
  • howard H said thank you

#243 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 06:27 PM

I still have one more plow to get done but that should be an easy job. I could not save any of the stickers but I got the model # & what it is. Not planning on selling it... plan on working the heck out of it this summer...lol... I did see an old ad for it when they sold them... the cost was over $900 with attachments... got to love google.... other than what I found out about these tractors on google, it was a very short lived production before Bolens bought out the company & discontinued them. Seems it was cheaper to buy the company than it was to buy the patent rights...My next project is another barn find... an old John Deer garden tractor. I have not seen it yet but it is from the same old man I got the Edko from...

#244 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:30 PM

Great job, looks good with the red rims, looking forwards to the John Deere.

#245 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:38 PM

Boy does that Edko look to have a wide stance, is that normal or are the wheels adjusted way out?

Nice restoration, the red looks just dandy. I wouldn't change it. 'Course, i do love Red :laughingteeth:
  • trowel and howard H have said thanks

#246 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 07:22 AM

Boy does that Edko look to have a wide stance, is that normal or are the wheels adjusted way out?

Nice restoration, the red looks just dandy. I wouldn't change it. 'Course, i do love Red :laughingteeth:

I just have the hubs set at the wide stance right now. It has 4 settings to narrow it. Taking it to the garden spot today to give it a trial run & get that pretty red paint dirty...lol

#247 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:25 AM

Nice, let us know what you think of it :-)

#248 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 12:52 PM

the red looks just dandy. I wouldn't change it.

It is this adjustable axil with reversing hubs that carries the patent on this tractor. I have a copy of the patent here some place, and the inventor just passed away in 2010. The tractors were painted red & white. The attachments were painted black. The company was sold to Ariens in late 1978 and in 1979 Ariens featured a unit called a Til-Trac that was orginally built by Edko. This machine was a combination tilere/walkbehind. you took the ting off and mounted wheels to the shafts for pulling attachments. To paint it in the orginal colors your wheels, handles and engine would be white and the rest is red. Since it is your tractor you can naturally piant it any color you like. Someplace in this thread is a picture of my orginal EDKO walking tractor and a little more of the story about them.
  • trowel and howard H have said thanks

#249 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 06:42 PM

I read in the sales ad I found that it had a dead man reverse.... does that mean when you try to back it up you kill yourself trying to pull it backwards...lol....I had posted some pics a while back of the sales / manual showing red & white... I decided to just make it black with red... I have gotten quite a few nice comments from several farmers / gardeners here that never saw one. they thought it was neat as I was playing around with it in the garden... Oh, it worked great other than getting use to turning it... & yes I did pull out the two pins to make it easier to turn. Cleaning the ratchet in the hubs made a huge difference in turning it. So clogged up that they always stuck but now they work great. The tires were full of water as a weight for the tractor. I left the water in them since extra weight is better. As far as patents, I saw the patent information on google but never read it.... Thanks for the info...

Edited by howard H, March 02, 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#250 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 06:53 PM

Oh ya, almost forgot before all of you noticed it.... I accidentally put the wheels on the wrong side turning the tires in the wrong direction...lol... got it fixed.... my bad....lol

Edited by howard H, March 02, 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#251 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 07:26 AM

That Edko turned out good.You did a nice job on it.

#252 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:25 AM

Oh ya, almost forgot before all of you noticed it.... I accidentally put the wheels on the wrong side turning the tires in the wrong direction...lol... got it fixed.... my bad....lol

I never even noticed, lol, lol, was too busy looking at the overall picture, good for you.
Which ground engaging tools did you use with it ? handy little tractors an't they :thumbs:

#253 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 09:39 PM

Well, here is the Edko put to work. I never tried it till I finished it. I busted up the garden with the turning plow & followed up with the disc. took me about an hour. Using the turning plow plumb wore me out but the disc worked great to smooth out the busted dirt.GEDC0520.JPG GEDC0522.JPG
  • Gtractor said thank you

#254 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 06:48 AM

Howard that's a pretty good job on what looks like a first time garden !!! Bet if you plow it next time/year it won't be as bad . Thanks for the pictrues , Al

#255 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 06:57 AM

Yeah,that looks to be doing a great job. :thumbs: Thanks for sharing.