• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 10:57 AM

Today I will post my '41 or '42 David Bradley Handiman jr. Its just a hood - I don't have the rest of the tractor [yet]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23656[/ATTACH]

It sent 3 of them out to the scrapp yard last yr, as i didnt have any hoods or correct engines to do qanything with them. The hood is the hardest part to find, as most got took off because it was hard to work on the engine when installed. Someone told me once that some went missing because the engine would over heat with it on. The engine, I think it was a model U briggs has a special vacumm fuel tank and is a hot item with engine guys, you dont see many around to restore the tractor with. The going price for one right now is over $200, so restoring the tractor is hard as it not worth much more than the engines cost.

A funny thing about the jr is its cultivator unit shows up complete, on the 1947 Co-op Blackhawk tractors. Its not that its similar, but the excatly same bolt for bolt unit. Makes one wonder how it would have gotten there, and maybe where it came from orginally.

#167 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 11:10 AM

Well I seem to have pics, [/IMG]

Ok so your just teasing us. I've had mine for about 6 yrs, it came for the thumb area of MI before. These were based on the Bolens 12bb tractor. Bolens must have over produced the 12b series in the final yr, as you see a lot of these pop up recently. Funny part is, of all of them, you see the cultivator mostly, followed by a sickle mower, then ones with the disc attachment. Dont know the excat history of these units, but was told once that they are newer than the 12b's, and were made after Bolens stopped producing their models. I beleive this would make them 53' and up models. They seem to be the only ones that Western Auto sold in a two wheeler. I have seen a picture once of a Wizard that was based on a bolen rider model, like maybe a 57. It had a front grill part that had Wizard cast into it were the bolens one should have been, very cool looking.

#168 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 11:54 AM

I've had this one for around 3yrs, and have modified it to suit my needs,, changed out the 6r6 engine due to constant carb issues with a newer 4hp unit,, different front hitch,, went to fixed diameter pulleys for the traction drive,, made up a wheel weight system,, and have a set of chains since its big task is pushing snow out on the lawn when things havent frozen over. Id likely use it for more tasks if it had reverse, but with 4hp its limited when it comes to powering any kind of mower or such and most attachments are hard to find anyways. This one also had the cultivator and no other attachments, would like to find the moldboard plow one day just to play around with.

#169 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 12:11 PM

[ A funny thing about the jr is its cultivator unit shows up complete, on the 1947 Co-op Blackhawk tractors. Its not that its similar, but the excatly same bolt for bolt unit. Makes one wonder how it would have gotten there, and maybe where it came from orginally.[/QUOTE]

The Blackhawk was produced by the Ohio Cultivator Co of Bellevue. That would be my guess as to where the cultivator originated. Did sears actually produce the Jr or was it built by someone else?

#170 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 03:57 PM

Speaking of Blackhawk ~~~~~
I bought this at auction many years ago and didn't even know what it was until I met Lauber1 at the Clarke County [IA] tractor show several years ago and he had one there. His looked a lot better than this one. :worshippy2:
Mine is covered with hog dust because it is in an old hog house. :mecry: When I found out what it was I got interested enough that I dug it out and got it running, after which I put it right back in the shed and it has been there since. When was that Jeff? 2004?

Blackhawk.jpg

#171 ben OFFLINE  

ben

• Member No: 7135
  • 4 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 06:14 PM

what do you guys think of the two wheel bolens power ho in comparisson to the one wheeled handi ho?

#172 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 11:48 PM

The Blackhawk was produced by the Ohio Cultivator Co of Bellevue. That would be my guess as to where the cultivator originated. Did sears actually produce the Jr or was it built by someone else?

Well in theory, DB was supposed to be making all there stuff at the Bradley plant, at least as far as garden tractor items. I do question this as i think there were other out sources of things. I know they were buying planet jr cult shovels. I also know that Briggs built the gear cases for the 33 Handiman. Other attachments for the Blackhawk arent at all like any DB stuff. Just this cultivator unit. But on the other hand this unit was made before the Blackhawk by at least 6 or more yrs, and you dont see it on any other tractor. Im leaning more toward thinking that DB had a lot of extra outdated stuff and instead of rehashing it into another tractor, as they did with the 33 Handiman(it became a jr for several yrs with a smaller engine) they just got rid of the old and came out with the new postwar style tractors. I invite all comments on this subject, as it is an intersting turn in the way DB did business.

#173 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 11:55 PM

Speaking of Blackhawk ~~~~~
I bought this at auction many years ago and didn't even know what it was until I met Lauber1 at the Clarke County [IA] tractor show several years ago and he had one there. His looked a lot better than this one. :worshippy2:
Mine is covered with hog dust because it is in an old hog house. :mecry: When I found out what it was I got interested enough that I dug it out and got it running, after which I put it right back in the shed and it has been there since. When was that Jeff? 2004?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23666[/ATTACH]

Well dont go telling everyone about me, theyll think i been collecting tractors or something. I dont remember when that was. Tryingto think about who i meant and where back then. Wasnt that the show at Osceola where there was more mud than tractors on a new fair grounds. Seems like we had a fairly good time, despite the conditions and i beleive we had almost as many garden tractors as they had fulll sized ones.

#174 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 12:03 AM

Hello Ben, welcome to this area of the site. It wouldnt be fair to compare the tow tractors outright as one is going to work better at things the other one wont do. If you was wanting to get narrow and go between rows you couldnt beat a single wheeled unit. But on the other hand if wanted to plow deep and needed something with more raw pulling power then you want the two wheeled model.

Are you asking as to which is better as a collectable? If so then ponder this.............the single wheel is a rarer bird, but its hard to find and the attachments harder. The two wheeler is more common and the attachments are plentyful. either one costs close to the same in money and time to restore. If it was me i'd just get both and maybe several others, but then thats the way i collect stuff.

#175 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 06:59 AM

Well dont go telling everyone about me, theyll think i been collecting tractors or something. I dont remember when that was. Tryingto think about who i meant and where back then. Wasnt that the show at Osceola where there was more mud than tractors on a new fair grounds. Seems like we had a fairly good time, despite the conditions and i beleive we had almost as many garden tractors as they had fulll sized ones.

Thats the show. They had poured the concrete only a couple of days before the show and without any backfill it was well over a foot dropoff into the mud. There was a storm that came in Friday evening and it was as dark as night. I thought it was a tornado the way the wind blew. I still had a good time.
It had to be in June 2004 because that night in the motel I watched former president Reagan's funeral service on the TV.

#176 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 10:51 AM

I have two sets of the vators posted with the black hawk, but no tractors for them.

#177 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 07:24 AM

Well in theory, DB was supposed to be making all there stuff at the Bradley plant, at least as far as garden tractor items. I do question this as i think there were other out sources of things. I know they were buying planet jr cult shovels. I also know that Briggs built the gear cases for the 33 Handiman. Other attachments for the Blackhawk arent at all like any DB stuff. Just this cultivator unit. But on the other hand this unit was made before the Blackhawk by at least 6 or more yrs, and you dont see it on any other tractor. Im leaning more toward thinking that DB had a lot of extra outdated stuff and instead of rehashing it into another tractor, as they did with the 33 Handiman(it became a jr for several yrs with a smaller engine) they just got rid of the old and came out with the new postwar style tractors. I invite all comments on this subject, as it is an intersting turn in the way DB did business.

Anything we could come up with now is basically speculation since there aren't any real records. The Ohio Cultivator Co was an old company that mainly specialized in cultivation equipment. Their cultivator was known as the Famous or Famous Ohio. I know I've seen advetising for various tractors that stated the tractor came equipped with the Famous Ohio cultivator. I've never done much research on the Sears brands though. I've never been much into implements either. Aren't they just something to hold the tractor up?? Is the cultivator like the one pictured with the Blackhawk? What would make it different than other similar shaped cultivators. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks similar to some other cultivators I have around here. I think it would make more sense for a company that was building cultivators to sell to sears rather than buy cultivators from Sears. A lot of the time gap between the Jr and the Blackhawk was taken up by WWII. If I had a librarian to keep up with my paper these things would be easier to research.

#178 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 05:08 AM

THE OHIO CULTIVATOR COMPANY
has a patent they applied for in May 1896 and the latest I see is 1944. There could be more.
Google Patents

Garry

#179 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 05:34 AM

The two I have are def diff years, one has nice spiral spoked wheels and the other has solid. I was told they were Handiman so I grabbed them out of the scrap dumpster when a local yard was cleaning up.

#180 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted November 05, 2011 - 11:40 AM

If I remember right the year is 1952. Tractor is a Planet Junior. Behind it you can just see another one that is a little older. The older one has wooden handlebars. These tractors came with virtually every shovel you could imagine for the toolbar and original manuals. I've had both running and they ran perfect but smoked. I bought these at the Adrian, MO swap meet in 2002 [estimate] from a fellow that claimed both tractors came from the same farm. The original owner used them until he was 94 years old and then gave up on gardening because he didn't have the strength to pull start his beloved tractors. :smile1:
PlanetJR.jpg