• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 08:28 PM

I called today about a Brinly plow in Louisville. Couldn't tell by the pics of the size, so called & told they guy how to measure it. He even got his buddy on the phone (both lifer city boys) and they said they understood & both measured it as a 12" plow. Brinly makes a 12" sleeve type, so off I went. I got there & it's a normal 10" plow! :wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging: I already have two 10" Brinly's! Oh well, this plow still had 90% of the paint on the moldboard & 100% on the coulter. He was asking $100 firm, but because I drove 55 miles to get there, he said he'd take $80 for it. So it's in the back of the Jeep as we speak. I will keep this one & sell one of my other 2. $80 for a nearly new plow is NOT bad at all! But I was really cranked for bringing home a 12" Brinly!
I'll get a couple pics tomorrow. Been a long day chopping silage, then a 110 mile rd trip.

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 08:42 PM

ok so are you saying you'd like me to put it in my forge and stretch it out on the anvil some?? Pretty sure it wont hurt the paint job at all,,lol

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 09:08 PM

Keep hunting Daniel, it's out there.

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 09:34 PM

At least it wasn't a total bust. Long day though.

#5 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 09:51 PM

I called today about a Brinly plow in Louisville. Couldn't tell by the pics of the size, so called & told they guy how to measure it. He even got his buddy on the phone (both lifer city boys) and they said they understood & both measured it as a 12" plow. Brinly makes a 12" sleeve type, so off I went. I got there & it's a normal 10" plow! :wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging: I already have two 10" Brinly's! Oh well, this plow still had 90% of the paint on the moldboard & 100% on the coulter. He was asking $100 firm, but because I drove 55 miles to get there, he said he'd take $80 for it. So it's in the back of the Jeep as we speak. I will keep this one & sell one of my other 2. $80 for a nearly new plow is NOT bad at all! But I was really cranked for bringing home a 12" Brinly!
I'll get a couple pics tomorrow. Been a long day chopping silage, then a 110 mile rd trip.

Seems like yesterday you were trying to get corn planted, now trying to get leg up on next year ?? :D

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 12:23 AM

Hey Daniel, I had a similar experience, only I drove about 3 hours round trip. The guy felt bad and the price went from $100 to $80, and then down again to about $70 so I would take it lol. Then I gave up the search altogether for a 12 inch plow.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 05:39 AM

That's kind of like the JD I bought, said it was a front engine, got there and it was a rear engine 68. I haven't grasped that yet.

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 06:32 AM

That's kind of like the JD I bought, said it was a front engine, got there and it was a rear engine 68. I haven't grasped that yet.

That's funny.:bigrofl::bigrofl:

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 06:40 AM

Especially since the one he is using is a front engine rider and he's was pushing this one out of the way to mow.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 05:41 PM

I've been examining pics of the 12" 3 point Brinly plows, * as far as the moldboard & plowpoint, they are just longer. So I am not looking for a 12" plow any longer. I am going to extend the moldboard & point on one of my plows I already have. I know it can be done, so this winter or before I am going to do this. I have the 10" plow, the equipment to do it. All I need to do is pick up a piece of the same thickness steel at my local steel yard. I may even take mine to a 13" plow.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 05:56 PM

Sounds good, Daniel. Shoot, stretch it on out to 14", you can always cut it back if it's too big. Be sure to post the pics of this. You can always make a decal calling it the '10" stretch version'.

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 06:56 PM

Daniel, I'd like to extend one of my three 10 inchers to an 11 incher, instead of a full 12, since I am pulling it with the Caterpillar Gt18 (Craftsman). I just want it a hair wider since I will be running a 10.50 wide tire. So keep us posted.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Daniel, I'd like to extend one of my three 10 inchers to an 11 incher, instead of a full 12, since I am pulling it with the Caterpillar Gt18 (Craftsman). I just want it a hair wider since I will be running a 10.50 wide tire. So keep us posted.

It will likely be after October 1st before I could start it. All my free time till then will be readying for my local show.

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 07:03 PM

I've been examining pics of the 12" 3 point Brinly plows, * as far as the moldboard & plowpoint, they are just longer. So I am not looking for a 12" plow any longer. I am going to extend the moldboard & point on one of my plows I already have. I know it can be done, so this winter or before I am going to do this. I have the 10" plow, the equipment to do it. All I need to do is pick up a piece of the same thickness steel at my local steel yard. I may even take mine to a 13" plow.

Nope, not workin Dan. I will put mine to good use eventually.

Fire up your welder.:D

#15 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 07:05 PM

Speaking as an experianced blacksmith, that aint just any old piece of steel in the share or mouldboard. You'd be better off to get another junk plow for the parts you need or start the share by using a throw away one that you could find at a farm store.