• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shortbox OFFLINE  

shortbox

• Member No: 819
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 02:38 PM

Just a quick question, how full do you fill the hydraulic or tansaxle resevior. It does not have a dip stick so how far from the top. TIA

#2 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 04:30 PM

I'm not sure of the configuration of the hydraulic reservoir on a 195. On my 224 the fill cap is Just behind the dash board to the left of the battery. The battery sits on part of the tank. If your configuration is the same Case says to leave 5" to 6" of air space between the top of the fill tube and the top of the oil. I put a screwdriver in the tank until it touched the bottom then made a mark with a magic marker at the top of the fill tube. I then measured down 5" and made a second mark. When the oil cooler is removed and drained it takes 7 qts of oil to fill the reservoir to the 5" mark.

Depending on how hard I work the tractor (I've only had it a short time) the oil level will raise to within a couple inches of the top of the tank. I use the same rule of thumb for my end loader. When I originally built it I filled the tank to within 3" of the breather. After a hard days work the oil expanded to the point it would slop out the breather when going over rough terrain. Since then I've kept about 5" of air space and never had another problem.

#3 shortbox OFFLINE  

shortbox

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 05:07 PM

Ok thanks. If that is the case I overfilled it cause I only have about two inches of air space

#4 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 07:58 PM

One inch below. Here is the info straight out of a 195 transaxle service manual. Click on the pic below to enlarge it.
How did your power steering mod hold up?

1...jpg

Edited by olcowhand, August 17, 2011 - 03:55 PM.
antagonizing comments towards GTT

#5 shortbox OFFLINE  

shortbox

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 09:30 AM

The power steering works ok but I don't use the tractor much. It has now been dedicated to run the log splitter.