Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Thanks GTT! I finally got my Gilson/ Wards mower working!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5581
  • 10 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 01:36 PM

Thanks GTT and the uploaders of the manuals! With the help of the manuals,.I finally got the ol' mower to engage and disengage properly. I haven't started it up yet, but I performed a dry run and it looks promising!

A little history:

I bought this a few years ago from my then boss for $75. It's Wards/ Gilson 33470 A, 16HP Twin. It needed a little TLC (still does!). The engine didn't turn over with the starter, but was not stuck. I pulled the starter and cleaned the brushes, commutator and oiled it. Been working fine since.

The wiring was rigged up. I replaced parts of it with new wires. I picked up a book from the library to help in the wiring. It has been charging fine and the lights work great since I fixed that mess. One of these days I'll add avoltage gauge. Don't need it, it's just an accessory.

My mower deck never worked right from day one on my tractor. I only intended it to be used for yard work and moving my vintage snowmobiles, not cutting the grass so I didn't care about the mower initially. (but that changed) The belts and blades were shot, so I put new belts and blades on it about a year after I had it. It never did quite work right even after that, always needed to hold on to the engagement lever, etc... I had taken photos of it before I took the belts off, but apparently it was not correct before that. The lever had operated in reverse (off=on, on=off). Then one day it fell apart. I took the mower off and "shelved it" until recently.

Today, I looked at the diagram in the manual and just had to swap sides on the idler pulleys. [This after a lot of bending rods and adjusting rods yesterday to no avail.] I had to do some adjusting too. Still needs a little tweaking, but it engages and disengages fine now – at least on the bench on a dry run. The detent between on and off is there now too, and it seems to stay in the on position now. The bad news is, I need another drive belt to run the mower. Mine is too big. I could probably get by with 2" shorter. It was new, but we had to kind of guess the size due to old belt being so bad.

It's leaking a lot of oil, might be a head gasket? I have to pull the right side engine cover off to see where the oil is coming from. It smokes some when first started, but it clears up and runs out excellent.

Here is a picture of it pulling my 71 Innovar SnoCoupe in the garage in Sept 2009.

Posted Image

Thanks for the site and the manuals! I'm sure I'll be here from time to time, especially if I tackle the engine to fix the oil leak.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 03:10 PM

That's awesome news! We're glad that we were able to help you get what you needed! Our sincerest hope is that everyone will pay it forward and upload any manual they get that isn't already in the database so that it can help someone else down the road! Again, thanks for sharing the success story with us and we'll be here when you dig in to the engine! BTW, that's a really cool snowmobile! I don't think I've ever seen one like it before!

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 03:16 PM

Welcome GilsonRider.That is a cool snow machine.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,646 Thanks
  • 39,016 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 05:33 PM

Welcome! Glad you found some help with the manuals. Cool SnoCoupe, good to see the tractor earning it's keep.

#5 grand OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 09:07 PM

Glad to know that the site helped you. Caseguy said it best, " Our sincerest hope is that everyone will pay it forward and upload any manual they get that isn't already in the database so that it can help someone else down the road!"

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,677 Thanks
  • 28,328 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 09:46 PM

Neat story and equally neat picture. Glad we could be of service.