How many Ham's are around here ?

#2 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 09:16 PM

N3QFA tech only must upgrade to general . but I wouldn't be General Sparky if and when :D Also instrument rating single engine - that was a while ago .

Edited by Sparky, August 15, 2011 - 09:20 PM.
Why not ?

#3 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 10:26 PM

KB1GNI here. Amateur Extra with VE accreditation.

Also a PP-ASEL, but not current. Too expensive!

I belong to the Central NH Amateur Radio Club. We're very active in public service events. This Saturday I'll be stationed on the Mt. Washington Auto Road, in support of the Newton's Revenge bicycle hillclimb.

On June 16th, I was there to help out with a foot race up the Auto Road. Here's a shot of my view from just above the 5,000' mark.

Posted Image

Truck looks good, huh? Notice the snow in the background? Posted Image

Posted Image

I have tons of pictures from past events. The club supports marathons, bike races, dogsled races, etc. My wife and I also volunteer eavery year to help provide communications support for the Boston Marathon. THAT is quite a production, especially when the temps are very high as they were this year.

#4 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 06:48 AM

My neighbour is huge into amateur radio, he has this crazy huge telescoping radio tower at his house. I will try to remember to take a pic and post it.

#5 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 11:01 PM

My Dad is a big Ham fan. Builds airplanes,metal detects and hams. :)

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hey, I'm a HAM.....KC9KAS
I was a volunteer fire department member for 31 years, and just "retired" in April 2012.
I also ride a Honda Gold Wing and love to ride it. Just got back today from a 1660 mile ride from home through Ky, Ohio, W. VA., Penn., New York, into Canada, Michigan and back to Ft. Wayne Indiana for the Gold Wing Road Riders Associations "Wing Ding" (annual convention).

Many HAM/Motorcyclist install a "rig" on their bikes. I have looked into this, but I probably don't need another distraction while riding!

A group called MARC...Motorcycle Amature Radio Club have websites for information if your into MC's & HAM...

Edited by KC9KAS, July 11, 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#7 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 12:16 PM

One of the events our radio club provides support for is the Seacoast Bike Tour, in support of Breathe New Hampshire. Cyclists ride from Portsmouth, NH up the coast to Ogunquit, ME, spend the night, then ride back via an inland route the next day.

I have done dual-duty as both an amateur radio volunteer and a fundraising partcipant for the past 5 years. I made a Lexan mount for my 1/2 wave 2-meter antenna that connects to the luggage rack. Coax runs along the frame to a handlebar bag where I place a handheld radio. I have a push-to-talk button attached to the handlebars, and use a cordless-phone-style earpiece with short boom mike that clears the straps on my helmet. Works great - I provide a different viewpoint of the event to net control that they can't get from roving hams in cars.

Being a 1/2 wave antenna, it does not need a ground plane to radiate effectively and both gets out and hears pretty well, even though I'm only using 5 watts.

Here is the mount on my previous bike, a Trek Multitrack. I ride a Cannondale Synapse now, but couldn't find a good picture of the setup on this bike.

Posted Image

Here I am from the 2010 event, between my team mates, at Nubble Light.

Posted Image

Found a poor image of my bike from this year's event:

Posted Image

Fig Newton, peanut butter, and Hershey's chocolate. Bike fuel!

Posted Image
  • KC9KAS said thank you

#8 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 09:05 AM

One of the events our radio club provides support for is the Seacoast Bike Tour, in support of Breathe New Hampshire. Cyclists ride from Portsmouth, NH up the coast to Ogunquit, ME, spend the night, then ride back via an inland route the next day.

I have done dual-duty as both an amateur radio volunteer and a fundraising partcipant for the past 5 years. I made a Lexan mount

That's pretty neat right there ^^^^ I have always thought about getting into HAM, and your posting makes me want to jump right in.
  • Oo-v-oO said thank you

#9 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 02:38 PM

The entry-level Technician license test is only 35 multiple-choice questions. You can get a study guide and learn at your own pace, or hook up with a club that provides license classes. Either way, once you think you might be ready you can take practice tests online that use the actual test questions. Once you pass them regularly, find a test session, pay your $15 (I think that's what it is now), and earn your ticket! The license is good for 10 years.

Best thing, I think, is to join a local radio club and attend their meetings. It has been said and I agree that immersion in a subject is the best way to learn.

The nice thing about amateur radio is that there are so many different aspects of the hobby. I like doing public service events, but some people get into contesting, or morse code, or low power operations - or some combination of all of them!
  • KC9KAS said thank you

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 10:34 PM

I sent marlboro180 a PM trying to explain the same thing....I added the ARRL link too.
My wife & I are both volunteers with the local "Skywarn" group and the Emergency Management Agency.
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#11 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 08:26 PM

KC8OEZ here. Tech class. Was going to upgrade but donn't have the inclanation anymore. Wife, son and BIL along with several friends got our tickets years ago. Retired Police Officer, Retired Volunteer LT. FF,EMT, Wood working and Retirement. Those are some of my hobbies, Farm Tractors and GTs are the main hobby. I was into CB back when it popular. Rode a Honda Gold Wing way back when and had a CB on it. Even have provisions on our Polaris 400 4 X 4 to attach my Yeasu FT 1500 M on it. Still have the Ham and CB radio in our hunting truck.

#12 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 05:36 PM

hamman....You and I have a lot in common!
My wife and I both are HAM's KC9KAS & KC9MLS.
I just reitred from our volunteer fire department as a Master FireFighter and Medical 1st Responder with 31 years.
My wife rides a 1989 GL1500 trike, and I ride a 1996 GL1500 SE...I have been riding motorcycles for 43 years!
We piddle around in woodworking a little too! My wife loves her FT1500!

Ever consider putting a rig on your Wing? If so, look at http://www.marc-hq.o...es/homepage.htm

Edited by KC9KAS, August 20, 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#13 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 10:01 AM

I don't have a MC at this time but would love to have one for the wife and I to ride on. I have been riding for about the same amount of time. We are in the process of putting up a 30' tower for our Ham antenna. Our son is awaiting a job on the Great Lakes Boats and we are hoping to put a antenna up to hear the boats once he gets a ride. We still listen to the local FD and PD. WIfe just retired from the MI State Police Dispatch and she still likes to listen to the radio. We were just cleaning the garage and came across about 10 pld CB radios and about 6 Scanners. I bought a Digital Pro-96 Radio Shack scanner from Ebay and we listen to that a lot.

#14 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 02:28 PM

I grew up with a scanner in the house and always on. I actually got into ham radio as an outgrowth of my scanner hobby - I was reading the manual and it said "your scanner will receive the 2-meter amateur radio band". Plugged in some frequencies and started listening to the local repeaters. There was a regular commuter net in the mornings, and I wanted to join the conversation so I decided to study for and get my license.

I got out of the scanner hobby for a while but recently picked up a Uniden Bearcat BC896XLT for free and have been listening to the frequencies left that haven't gone digital.

#15 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'm not but would like to be. I've got the room to run the biggest dipole needed. I've got an old helicrafters I listen to often. As of now that's as far into ham radios as I've gotten.

Sent using Droid.