Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month of September 2011!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month of September 2011! (119 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month of September 2011!

1. Front End Loader / Massey 1855 (38 votes [31.93%])

Percentage of vote: 31.93%

2. Grader Blade / Massey MF12H (5 votes [4.20%])

Percentage of vote: 4.20%

3. Boom Pole / Sears Suburban 12 (2 votes [1.68%])

Percentage of vote: 1.68%

4. Voted Brinly Cultivator / Ford LGT (2 votes [1.68%])

5. 48" Mower Deck / Sears Suburban (2 votes [1.68%])

6. Haban Sickle Bar / Allis AC416 (14 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

7. Drag Harrow / 1937 Sears Handiman (21 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

8. 42" Sickle Mower / 64 Simplicity Landlord (22 votes [18.49%])

Percentage of vote: 18.49%

9. Dozer Blade / GE Elek-Trac E20 (3 votes [2.52%])

Percentage of vote: 2.52%

10. Mower Deck / Bolens 1053 (3 votes [2.52%])

Percentage of vote: 2.52%

11. Brinly Plow / Craftsman GT18 (Caterpillar) (5 votes [4.20%])

Percentage of vote: 4.20%

12. Mower Deck / Simplicity 738 (2 votes [1.68%])

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 11:02 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of September 2011 has now officially started and will end the last day of August. The theme for this month is "Favorite Implement".

The winner will be featured on the front page for the entire month of September starting on the 1st of the month and will be in our featured tractors section for infinity :D

Here is a list of the nominees in no special order:

• Front End Loader / Massey 1855 - olcowhand
  • Homemade Grader / Massey MF12H - DH1
  • Homemade Boom Pole / Sears Suburban 12 - MH81
  • Brinly Cultivator / Ford LGT - Chuck_050382
  • Mower Deck / Sears Suburban - thecraftsmankid
  • Haban Sickle Mower / Allis AC416 - Meangreen
  • Drag Harrow / 1937 Sears Handiman - Lauber1
  • 42" Sickle Mower / 64 Simplicity Landlord - Simplicity Saver
  • Dozer Blade / GE Elek-Trac E20 - Sparky
  • Mower Deck / Bolens 1053 - bolens1053
  • Brinly Plow / Craftsman GT18 - wvbuzzmaster
  • Mower Deck / Simplicity 738 - Ranchkingron

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below. :D

Please remember that the winning tractor cannot be nominated again for a full year. Thanks and good luck!

Just some extra notes: Voting got a late start this month so don't expect any record breakers on the number of votes. Also starting next month we are going to have to tighten ship a little more on the entries where the images are added as attachments and not from another hosted source. It makes for more work when copying posts. Hopefully everyone will understand and from now on if the entry's images are not added as attachments the nomination will be void.

Edited by MH81, August 15, 2011 - 10:40 PM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,225 Thanks
  • 29,691 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 10:23 AM

I want to nominate Massey 1855 with FEL. I hadn't planned to enter anything in this month's competition, but after all the work I've done on the silage pit with my front end loader, I thought it only right to enter it into this month's voting.
So I enter my "built from scratch" FEL. I built it from complete scratch in 2005, onto a modified Massey 1650 chassis. I originally had a single bucket tilt cylinder, but a few years later, I changed it to twin tilt cylinders for more tilt power. Here are pictures of it's 6yrs of evolving. It is truly a workhorse here on my farm, from mucking out calf stalls, to serious dirt work where larger equipment just won't fit or work right for the job.
The lift cylinders are off a New Idea hay roller, which I had to shorten the body & ram to fit. The tilt cylinders I got from TSC. Hoses I sourced off ebay cheap by placing low bids untill I finally scored a pile of them. The fittings cost me more than the hoses!

Just after adding the twin tilt cylinders, I built a "quick attach" system to make switching from bucket to manure forks a 20 second job.

Just this past few weeks, I've used this little loader to scrape the angle in the dirt of our silage pit to create the lean for our new silage pit's huge concrete block walls.

I also used it to pull up the busted concrete in our other 2 pits to pour concrete patches into. The end result pics are in my memory stick, which my daughter has at the moment, so will add later.

I also clean the calf stalls with this loader.

This loader is sure a back saver for many many uses!
And as you can see, the FEL is now mounted to a Massey 1655, really an 1855, being I have a B48G repower in her.

She's even been in a parade once.

And talk about lift power!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18356[/ATTACH] Well, no, but made for funny pic!:bigrofl:

This morning after milking she got a good workout atop the divider wall between the 2 larger silage pits. It was covered with tires & multiple layers of old silage plastic. All this had to be removed for the fill dirt to bond to the dirt divider, and would have taken hours by hand. Took me about 30 minutes with the Massey & FEL! I didn't think of pic/video untill most had been removed, but you get the idea. I used the FEL to roll up the plastic & tires into large balls, then nudged off the left side into the unrepaired pit.

Some still pics atop the divider wall:

I could NOT get by without this attachment! I use it regularly here on my farm for truly heavy duty jobs, and makes so many jobs so much easier & SAFE(?? see above pics LOL)! Just as with any attachment though, you have to use the sense God gave you when using them.
So here is my entry for this month. I feel she earned a spot! :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• Finished2050005.jpg
  • Finished2050011.jpg
  • Finished2050010.jpg
  • Finished2050006.jpg
  • DSC00494.jpg
  • DSC00497.jpg
  • DSC00082.jpg
  • DSC00080.jpg
  • DSC00059.jpg
  • DSC00058.jpg
  • DSC00060.jpg
  • Finished2050027.jpg
  • DSC00534.jpg
  • DSC00536.jpg
  • DSC00537.jpg
  • DSC00535.jpg

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,502 Thanks
  • 5,269 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 02:07 PM

In an effort to encourage others.

This is I guess my favorite implement that I have and use, I made this myself to fit my Massey MF12Hydra for the purpose of leveling and smoothing out the driveway. It by no means compares to a FEL but it is an implement. I made it out of stuff I had lying around, 4ft long piece of angle iron, some flat bar, 2 jack post plates and railway spikes.
It's reversible, one side to smooth the drive and the other side to dig in, loosen up the driveway. It can also be used backwards to push gravel around. I don't really use this implement much but when the time comes to fill in some pot holes in the driveway it works and makes live easy.

Attached Thumbnails

• masseys 033..jpg
  • masseys 031..jpg
  • masseys 036..jpg
  • masseys 035..jpg
  • masseys 037..jpg
  • masseys 032..jpg
  • masseys 030..jpg

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,669 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 06:52 AM

I'll nominate my Boom Pole.

This was a build from necessity that kinda turned into a fun project.
I had been laying parts aside for several months, thinking it would be a handy tool. At the time, my rotator cuff was acting up again, and I didn't always have help to lift, move, etc. Kinda made for a challenge sometimes. After I bought my 3 point from member BHTS, I just had to have something more to put on it than a plow. I love this Sears Suburban 12 it's on too. We have kinda grown up together GT wise. Me learning how to keep it running & it teaching me I don't know everything yet.

I have used this to move my derelict Custom 6, implements, etc around the yard in an attempt to find better parking places. Has turned a lot of 2 man jobs into a "One man-One tractor" job. In other words, it has given me more seat time. :thumbs: The plans were scaled down from a full size tractor boom.

At the last show, there was a Sears guy there that asked me where I found it... He'd never seen one. Kinda made me feel good that he thought it was an OEM piece.

Here is a video of the unpainted, 7/8 done project.

And here are some pictures:

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC1585.jpg
  • GEDC1584.jpg
  • GEDC1582.jpg
  • GEDC1583.jpg

#5 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted August 10, 2011 - 09:09 AM

I am nominating my Brinly Cultivator

Here is the story:

GT Talk member MAV sent me message letting me know about a Brinly Cultivator and single gang disc that were on craigslist and not to far away from me. (I hadn't looked at craigslist for a few days)

So I call the guy up and he was only 8 miles or so from my house. He was asking $75 each for them. I ended up getting them for $60 each. They have had a new coat of paint slapped on, but are very solid.

The Cultivator does an awesome job, It is so adjustable, it works good for straddling the crops like corn, or for keeping the walkways between rows clear. It does a great job of breaking up the dirt.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0425111720b.jpg
  • 0425111728.jpg
  • 0607111726.jpg
  • 0607111727b.jpg

#6 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 10, 2011 - 05:33 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18845[/ATTACH]Well, lets see if I can find a few pictures
Here are a couple pictures of my favorite tractor. I have had this tractor for about a year now and has been invaluable to me. It was me first ever sears suburban. My favorite attachment is the 48in mower deck. The 12hp on this tractor handles it well for what it is. I have used this tractor for about everything from mowing the lawn to moving snow and dirt. I always find myself going back to this tractor after my others fail in time that I have needed them and it starts right up no matter how cold it is. In my exploration of this tractor I found that in some point of its life it was bored 20 over and had new pistons and rings installed. It knocks like crazy but has never gotten any worse no matter how much I use it. At this time it needs new valve guys which means I need to tare it completely apart and have a machine shop install the new guides. The 48in deck is in the top picture and the bottom picture is around the time I got the tractor. I may add more pictures soon

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCI0060.jpg
  • DSCI0004.jpg

#7 Meangreen OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted August 10, 2011 - 05:57 PM

I would like to nominate my AC416 with a 48" Haban sickle bar mower. I had only seen pictures of a sickle mounted to a GT but had never saw one in person. When I saw the pictures I knew I HAD to have one. A few years ago I had a small farm and mowed 20+ acres with a 6 foot full size sickle and if you get them setup right I knew what they could do. I had a second 6 foot sickle that I used to mow weeds along the creek bank and under the barbwire fence and general trimming around the farm. Trimming can be hard on a mower so I didn't want to use hay sickle for rough stuff.
My BIL let me know about one he found for sale but it was a "package deal". Then It got better, the package deal included a AC416 with a low hour 16hp shortblock. My AC had a tired Kohler in it and AC416 parts are a little hard to find soooooo.

The Haban on package tractor then on my 416

It took some fabrication to get the drive pully to line up with pto clutch and two new belts but works now, it will be coming off soon for painting fine tuning. A few pic's of the engine swap, if you look hard you can see the Haban in the second picture. lol

First pass with the Haban on the original tractor :orangecool:

Here is a short video of the Haban in some tall stuff

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00155-20110706-2104.jpg
  • IMG00195-20110808-2003.jpg
  • IMG00163-20110713-2140.jpg
  • IMG00166-20110716-2127.jpg
  • IMG00154-20110705-1952.jpg

Edited by NUTNDUN, August 15, 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#8 Simplicity Saver OFFLINE  

Simplicity Saver

• Member No: 1717
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 02:35 PM

I would like to nominate my 1964 Simplicity Landlord 308. It has a 42" sickle mower that is her permanent attachment. This tractor came to me as a "come and get it or I am scrapping it"deal. It came with some pieces of a deck, and a snow thrower. The pins were out of the transmission, and the steering was tight. With a little tinkering and a tune-up we revived it into a working piece of equipment. With no deck, and 2 snow throwers already set-up, it was put in the shed for later use.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
After it sat around unused for a couple seasons, I was weed whacking around my pond and thought a sickle would be a big help. About a week after making a passing comment to my father there was a 42" sickle sitting in front of my garage. Without the benefit of a manual or someone who had one in use, we learned to use it by breaking bolt and belts . Now that it is dialed in, we use it to keep the tall grass trimmed by the ponds and the ditch. It always draws attention when mowing or parked by the house. People like to stop and check it out. I am always happy to stop and talk about it and the other tractors in the shed and garage.

Edited by NUTNDUN, August 15, 2011 - 07:54 PM.

#9 Sparky OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 08:56 AM

I would like to nominate my 19 x 54 inch snow blade mounted on a GE E20 tractor . The original GE blade was 17 x 48 inches. While adequate for most purposes the smaller blade would not re-pile the snow well after 2 nd snowfall. When a friend offered this blade I jumped at the chance . Now I can't remember what it was supposed to be from but don't matter now. A customized frame on front of tractor lets me loopback the lift cable 1/2 lift speed and double torque. Lifting the blade when packed with snow is not such a problem now .

The Ge traction motor seems quite up to the task. In much the same manner as the JD two cylinders , lug em down and they just bark at you. The electric lift gives the finite adjustments needed for varying load conditions.Original Ge recommendations called for 2 nd gear snow plowing for inertia purposes. However I find that not necessary with good chains.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,423 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 02:13 PM

Ok , I'll nominate my 1937 Sears Handiman. This tractor its self is one of my favorites, and carrys the following attachments on board at all times. 1) front counter weight..2) Triple wide steel wheels..3) a drag harrow on its tool bar..4) a riding sulky. The tractor weighs 1065# and is powered by a model K Briggs. It has both a forward clutch and a reverse clutch lever, along with individual hand powered turning brakes. I have never restored it past replacing any hex bolts with the original square ones, and straightening out a few bent tool bar hangers and rods.

I've owned it for 12yrs, bought it as a pile , at a local auction, fired it up and drove it up on to the trailer. Best $250 i ever spent. I use it mostly to show off with , although i do cultivate(by attaching differnt tooling) my potato's. I took it to the DB factory show in IL, the first yr i got it, and then again last yr, other than that its been here at home smashing mole hills and aerating my acre of lawn. Not many shows around that let you drive the steel wheeled ones around and going to parades is kind of rough on the street.

We made a video of it also. This is the first one we did outside, and go figure the tractor didnt want to start, after going first pull in the shed sitting a yr.

Attached Thumbnails

• 040.jpg
  • 046.jpg
  • 051.jpg
  • 044.jpg
  • 054.jpg
  • 066.jpg

Edited by NUTNDUN, August 15, 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#11 bolens1053 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1997
  • 53 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:41 PM

I got my Bolens 1053 in November last year so I have not had it a year yet. I restored it about a month ago. I put all new gaskets in the engine and I ground all the rust and paint off and put new decals on it. Now I use it for just mowing and driving around the yard.
My favorite implement I have is the mower deck. I have a craftsman tiller that I re engineered to fit it but it does not mow the grass. The mower deck is my favorite because it can mow the grass very good. It just makes the Bolens complete. [ATTACH=CONFIG]19090[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19091[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19092[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19093[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19096[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19087[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19088[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19089[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM1655.jpg
  • HPIM1658.jpg
  • HPIM1660.jpg
  • HPIM1685.jpg
  • HPIM1688.jpg
  • HPIM1687.jpg
  • HPIM1686.jpg
  • HPIM1684.jpg

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 01:07 AM

Ok, I am getting bold here. I am nominating the Caterpillar with a 10 inch moldboard plow that had a refitted lever to adjust it's pitch/suck. You might think that the plow alone is the favorite attachment, and it is, but the winch lift on the sleeve hitch and the 37 Amp alternator by my foot in the picture help to make it even more fun. The tractor, a simple 1988 Craftsman GT18 powered by a Briggs and Stratton opposed twin was painted and decaled before me with a Caterpillar scheme. I kept that and added the sleeve hitch myself, but I did not want manual lift so I mounted a 2000 pound winch to a chunk of 4 inch channel extending high up for a straighter pull on the hitch. with that winch I needed more power, and not horsepower, but rather amps. So I mounted another pulley on the outside of the drive pulley in order to power a Delco Remy alternator. With all that upgrading I decided to run new wires throughout, and that is when I parked it.

When I finish repairing it and get it back together it will get new 26x10.50-12 ATV tires which will be loaded, and a front winch bumper. I will have to add and wire lights to the Caterpillar as well, but that will be another project. I eventually plan to upgrade the front axle and mount Snow Hog tires on the front, but I doubt all that will happen this year. I do plan to have it all set up by plow time next year though. I plan to be able to haul a** plowing, not that George (NUTNDUN) wants me to, but he thinks I should be able to, so I will have to see for myself. :bigrofl:

Attached Thumbnails

• Caterpillarplowing2.jpg
  • Caterpillarplowing1.jpg

• Rozwell Ranch said thank you

#13 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 10:18 AM

If you want to post your nomination today and then add the pics tomorrow that is fine. Would like to close the nominations later tonight and then I can start the voting thread tomorrow night. When you add the pics just edit your post to add them to it then.

Ok Sir I will nominate the Simplicity 738 but please be kind it's not what you would call a thing of beauty except in how she handles her job.

It's a 1973-74 Simplicity 738 Broadmoor equipped with a 36" three blade deck which on the surface doesn't seem like much but I think it's one of the best mowing strongest pulling little LT's made.

I don't have any purpose built implements for it other than the deck but I can say with it's articulated rear axle and deck combo you would be had pressed to find a better cutting design, smooth clean and it stripes the grass very well.

The narrow hood/nose is gives you great forward vision and it's turning radius and handling to me are only rivaled by a zero turn (i.e. you can drive right up to an obstacle turn the wheel and it turns almost instantly) the basic design is as it's name suggests simplicity everything is easy to work on sturdy and very user friendly.

A few of it's better points are as follows -
1) Tight steering with wear adjustable/greasable rod ends.
2)Articulating rear axle (keeps the power on the ground).
3) Basic three speed transmission (it's almost the perfect blend of usable speed and power) 1st- gear tilling, pushing/pulling, 2nd- mowing, rolling, dethatching etc., 3rd- transport.
4) Narrow overall design allowing for easy maneuvering and provides good vision.
5) The crowning jewel The Deck, deep, thick, 3 blades, floating design connected at the front axle and supported at the rear by full width rollers gives it the legendary Simplicity cut.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad but these are the key things that I like about it, but as I said it's nothing great to look at (it's been abused by the PO) and it does have some ares that could be improved but in it's basic form it has allot to offer.

I'm glad she wound up in my stable or I might not have know what a joy it is to use.

It will hopefully be getting a fresh coat of paint soon, so I hope it's not too ugly.

Pics in a sec, thanks for allowing me to show her off.

The first one is it on the trailer coming to her new home, the rest will follow sorry.

Thank you so much Nutindun And I apologize for getting them in so late sorry.

Busy life and much too do doesn't allow for allot of posting.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0298.jpg
  • IMG_0805.jpg
  • IMG_0811.jpg
  • IMG_0802.jpg
  • IMG_0807.jpg
  • IMG_0812.jpg
  • IMG_0808.jpg
  • IMG_0803.jpg
  • IMG_0804.jpg
  • IMG_0809.jpg
  • IMG_0801.jpg
  • IMG_0810.jpg

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 08:04 PM

Alright gang, let the voting begin.

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hey George, would you mind adding Caterpillar to my entry in parenthesis in the entry list because I call it that more than anything lol. I just want to make sure to cut down on confusion lol.