• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 02:46 PM

We might be picking up a Bolens walk behind, pretty sure it is a power ho and have a question before we would proceed with it. The reason I think it is a power ho is because it doesn't have a hood or grill like the Versas do.

The main thing I want to find out though is do they have air filters on them? Does anyone have one they can take some good pictures of for me mainly of the engine?

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 05:40 PM

The reason I think it is a power ho is because it doesn't have a hood or grill like the Versas do.

If it doesn't have reverse, it is a Power-Ho (unless it is Bolens Gardener). ......Some model Power-Ho's had hoods & front grille, some didn't. .....Others had the grille & hood removed by owner. ....Often, if a later engine was installed, the hood & grill were removed.

The 1947 & 1948 Model 12A Power-Ho had a B&S engine with no hood or grille. ...It had a cylindrical gas tank (by B&S)mounted above the cylinder head. (Earlier models of model 12A had Clinton engines.

The 1949 & 1950 Model 12B Power-Ho had a 2.5 hp B&S model 8R6 type #905899 engine. .....I don't know if it had a hood & grille. ...I don't know the style of gas tank, either. (I can't say for certain, but I suspect it was like the model 12A.)

The 1950 thru 1953 Model 12BA Power-Ho had 2hp Clinton model B764 engines and had no grille or hood. ...It had a cylindrical gas tank (by Clinton) mounted above the cylinder head.

The 1950 thru 1953 Model 12BB Power-Ho had the 2.5hp B&S model 8R6 type #905899 engine. .....It had a cast grille, sheetmetal hood, and a bullet-shaped gas tank (by Bolens) mounted behind the engine.

The 1954 thru 1956 Model 15FA Power-Ho had a 2hp Clinton model C700 engine, and had no grille or hood. .....It had a cylindrical gas tank (by Clinton) mounted above the cylinder head.

The 1954 thru 1956 Model 15FB Power-Ho had a 2.5hp B&S engine model 81302 type 493537. .....It had a cast grille, sheetmetal hood, and a bullet-shaped gas tank (by Bolens)
mounted behind the engine.

The 1957 Model 15FE had no reverse, so it was not a Versa-Matic, but it was not referred to as a Power-Ho. .....It had no grille or hood. ....It had a 2hp Clinton engine model A2100. ....The rectangular-shaped gas tank (by Clinton) was attached to the engine.

The main thing I want to find out though is do they have air filters on them?

ALL Bolens Power-Ho's & Versa-Matics had air filters on them. .....The Model 15FE with the Clinton engine used a dry-type filter. .....ALL others used an oil-bath type air cleaner.

Does anyone have one they can take some good pictures of for me mainly of the engine?

If you look in the manuals section, I think you'll see some decent pics of the engines. ....Any pics will vary based on model of tractor. ......What details do you need to see?
  • NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 05:48 PM

Now that's some good information. Thanks, Bruce.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info Bruce. I will print it out and take with when we go to look at it.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 06:59 AM

Thanks for the info Bruce. I will print it out and take with when we go to look at it.

Why print it, can't you remember that? :D

Thanks Bruce, that's great info.